BioMarin is the world leader in delivering therapeutics that provide meaningful advances to patients who live with serious and life-threatening rare genetic diseases.
We target diseases that lack effective therapies and affect relatively small numbers of patients, many of whom are children. These conditions are often inherited, difficult to diagnose, progressively debilitating and have few, if any, treatment options. BioMarin will continue to focus on advancing therapies that are the first or best of their kind.
BioMarin’s Technical Operations group is responsible for creating our drugs for use in clinical trials and for scaling production of those drugs for the commercial market.
These engineers, technicians, scientists and support staff build and maintain BioMarin’s cutting-edge manufacturing processes and sites, provide quality assurance and quality control to ensure we meet regulatory standards, and procure the needed goods and services to support manufacturing and coordinating the worldwide movement of our drugs to patients. Come join our team and make a meaningful impact on patients’ lives.
The Cell Culture Process Development department at BioMarin Pharmaceutical Inc. is seeking an experienced molecular biologist at the Scientist 1 level for research and development activities. This individual will be part of a group focusing on optimizing production of recombinant viral vectors for BioMarin’s gene therapy program.
The successful candidate will work both independently and as part of a team on design and optimization of viral vectors and host cell lines with the goal of improving the production and performance of viral vectors. This role directly handles and/or is in proximity to lentiviral or other viral vector based gene delivery systems.
- Viral vector design and small-scale production
- Characterization assays to evaluate performance of viral vectors
- Host cell line engineering, testing, and characterization
- Being self-motivated, proactive, and able to design, plan, and perform experiments independently
- Strong ability to think critically; demonstrated troubleshooting and problem solving skills
- Flexibility in a fast-paced, changing environment; be willing to accept responsibilities outside of the initial job description
- Closely interact with other team members; development of internal and external collaborations
Ph.D. in cellular or molecular biology or in a related field. 0 to 2 years of postdoctoral experience in academia or in the biotechnological industry is strongly preferred.
- Hands-on expertise in molecular biology methods
- Proficiency with DNA analysis software, cloning and primer design
- Analytical tools: RT-qPCR, ELISA, western blot, electrophoresis
- Critical thinking, excellent data analysis and interpretation skills
- Good interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills. Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Presentation of results in written and oral formats
- Background in virology (AAV, lentivirus, HIV)
- Viral vector design, small-scale production and virus transduction
- Next generation DNA and RNA sequencing methods and library preparation
- Mammalian and insect cell culture
- Design of vectors for recombinant protein expression
- Cell transfection and clone selection