Scientist 1, Strain Performance Optimization
The Process Development team is seeking a Scientist with experience developing and optimizing early-stage microbial fermentation processes for the production of small molecules. This individual should be well-versed in fermentation science and process control and have a basic understanding of microbial physiology, secondary metabolism and biosynthetic pathways. In some cases, the individual should take into consideration scalability of the process, which includes not only fermentation but also separation and purification. We are specifically seeking an energetic, creative, and highly self-motivated individual that enjoys challenges in fermentation development. The successful candidate will interact closely with molecular biologists, other fermentation scientists, and downstream chemists and engineers.
* Design and analyze fermentation experiments to maximize understanding and performance of strains and meet project goals for yield, productivity, purity specifications, and other process parameters.
* Demonstrated ability to optimize fermentation processes and apply new process technologies and strategies when relevant
* Collaborate with:
* Operations team and fellow process development scientists to ensure that experiments are designed and executed effectively
* Molecular biologists to understand the impact of genetic changes on strain performance
* Analytical chemists to ensure that analytical methods are robust
* Lead cross-functional project teams that are focused on the commercialization of a given molecule and includes the development and technology transfer of processes from laboratory scale --> pilot scale --> manufacturing scale.
* Communicate with internal and external stakeholders through meetings and clearly written emails, reports and presentations
* Responsible for individual and co-worker safety and maintain safety as the highest priority by supporting and reinforcing procedures and policies
* Requires a BS in Chemical/Bio-Chemical Engineering with a minimum of 10 years’ experience
* Prefer MS with at least 5 years’ experience or PhD with 0-2 years’ experience
* Requires a minimum of 3 years’ experience designing and analyzing fermentation experiments for strain screening and or scale-up
* Experience using tools and software to analyze large datasets
* Excellent interpersonal and communications skills are an essential characteristic of a successful candidate due to the highly collaborative nature of the position
* Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment and balance multiple projects
* Strong project management, organization, facilitation, problem solving, and quantitative analysis skills are critical
* Ability to deliver clear, compelling and effective technical presentations to colleagues and managers
* Microbial fermentation experience preferred
* Experience using the design of experiment (DoE) methodology for the optimization and characterization of fermentation processes preferred
* Experience with small molecules that are produced during fermentation as a gas, solid, or liquid is preferred