About Metamaterial Inc.
META delivers previously unachievable performance, across a range of applications, by inventing, designing, developing, and manufacturing sustainable, highly-functional materials. Our extensive technology platform enables leading global brands to deliver breakthrough products to their customers in consumer electronics, 5G communications, health and wellness, aerospace, automotive, and clean energy. META’s achievements have been widely recognized, including being named a Global Cleantech 100 company. Learn more at www.metamaterial.com.
About the role
We are seeking a Scientific Software Developer for our facility in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. You will work within the Optics team to implement a variety of cutting-edge software products to develop and optimize optical devices and systems for augmented reality and scientific instruments. You will be working closely with accomplished scientific staff to develop, test, and benchmark META’s software. The ideal candidate will have prior experience programming in Python for scientific applications.
- Develop software tools for teammates in the optical engineering group.
- Develop software packages in the follow domains: custom instrument control and automation, scientific data analysis, optical modelling, and extensions and interfaces to commercial simulation tools.
- Work among the engineering team to understand their requirements and pre-emptively advance solutions.
- Maintain the existing custom codebase, and support users through documentation and instruction.
- Apply industry best practices for the development, deployment, and maintenance of a rapidly evolving codebase.
- Participate in development planning discussions to identify options, analyze benefits and limitations, and recommend an optimal approach to meet customer needs.
- Communicate results through well documented code, technical reports, and presentations.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum 1 years of experience with software development in a commercial environment.
- Experienced in code development in C/C++ and Python.
- Experience with the Python scientific stack (NumPy, SciPy, Pandas, matplotlib, scikit).
- Experience in process control, data acquisition, and data analysis in Python (preferred) or Matlab, R or Julia.
- Experience with software version control (git, Hg).
- Experience with GUI development (TK, QT)
- Knowledge of agile software development methodologies is desirable.
- Knowledge of databases (SQL, MongoDB).
- Familiarity with interfacing with hardware for motion control and data acquisition.
- Familiarity with optics, photonics, or optical design tools like Zemax, Comsol, and Lumerical is highly desirable.
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Canadian work authorization.
- A BSc or MSc in Computer Science, Physics, EE, Mathematics, or a related field, is required.