At Lilly, we unite caring with discovery to make life better for people around the world. We are a global healthcare leader headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. Our 39,000 employees around the world work to discover and bring life-changing medicines to those who need them, improve the understanding and management of disease, and give back to our communities through philanthropy and volunteerism. We give our best effort to our work, and we put people first. We’re looking for people who are determined to make life better for people around the world.
MD IDS Technical Consultant (P4) – Product Development
The Medicines Development (MD) IDS serves as a strategic function within the Lilly Medicines Development Unit. There are tremendous opportunities in MD IDS as continued investments are made in the transformation associated with next generation of drug development and the goal of a Digital MDU. This transformation includes moving to an organization that embraces information, analytics, process automation, and cybersecurity in the drug R&D enterprise.
The role of MD IDS Technical Consultant – Product Development embodies technology leadership, scientific software mastery and business relationship management for product development and laboratory functions in Bioproducts Research & Development (BR&D), Small Molecule Design & Development (SMDD) and Delivery, Device & Connected Solutions (DDCS).
Key Objectives and Responsibilities
- Master-level software technology practitioner in a number of technologies (e.g., Java, Python, R, Spark, NoSQL, Cloud/AWS, IoT, mobility).
- Analyze and communicate project status to multiple audiences, including all levels of management, scientists and laboratory managers
- Utilize deep scientific business and technical expertise to evaluate proposed project ideas, software designs, and/or technology changes (including vendor solutions) to drive business value outcomes and influence management decision-making.
- Grow utilization and expertise level in tools and processes supporting requirements management, code management, change management, DevOps and quality practices governing key work
- Define, lead, and execute technical work; provide programming support.
- Propose new ways of approaching business solutions with emerging technologies; prototype new ways of applying technologies to achieve the desired business outcomes; educate others so that they can leverage the new ways/prototypes in achieving the desired outcomes.
- Analyze and solve complex technical problems, including advanced data analysis and multiple technologies.
- Advise and influence team members, management and business SMEs in the judicious application of technology for optimal IDS strategy execution.
- Plan and lead implementation efforts of technology solutions, including custom and vendor solutions, to meet critical business value improvements.
- Keep abreast of new technologies and software development methodologies while determining the value of such technologies to MD IDS.
- Mentor junior IDS staff to build their proficiency and expertise.
- Develop an understanding of how MD IDS strategies and solutions enable business execution. Use this knowledge to appropriately challenge the status quo and drive business-IDS collaboration.
- Exploit internal and external professional relationships to enhance the probability of successful IDS strategy execution.
- Leads and influences the development and documentation of an overall IT services strategy and architecture for the business area.
- Evaluate proposed project ideas / software changes via impact analysis and estimated business value to influence decision making.
- Document business requirements and effectively communicate them to software vendors, developers and testers.
- Obtain and leverage knowledge of Chemical Development and Control (CMC) business processes and technology to ensure solutions across Product Development meet needs and to influence future application and business direction.
- Drive team to understand and evaluate the existing and potential items in the portfolio of work to align with MDU business priorities and influence the execution of MD IDS projects in collaboration with vendors, business partners, team and management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or Science related discipline
- 10 plus years of experience with the software development life cycle spanning project initiation, design, development, testing, deployment, support and retirement
- Demonstrated ability to broadly influence senior business and IDS leadership in the organization
- Familiarity and interest in influencing and collaborating with business leadership to extend effective Laboratory Informatics and Product Development Solutions.
- Ability to proactively develop and apply creative solutions
- Demonstrated planning and execution skills for the design, development/configuration and implementation of technology solutions, including vendor solutions.
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership and communication skills (both verbal and written)
- Demonstrated team work skills; working with diverse team with different viewpoints
- Demonstrated negotiation skills; utilizes experience and knowledge to persuade others in reaching sound decisions
- Prior Pharmaceutical/Medical Device Product Development or Manufacturing IDS experience and knowledge of PR&D business areas, applications, and data flows
- Educational background associated with Biology, Chemistry, Engineering or related fields
- Demonstrated proficiency in several technologies: Java, Python, R, RESTful web services, SPARQL, PL/SQL, Perl, .net, Semantic Web/RDF/OWL, Elasticsearch, J2EE.
- Familiarity developing technology solutions within environments governed by Quality Management Systems (QMS).
- Familiarity with big data, mobile computing and Internet of Things (IoT) solutions/platforms.
- Familiarity with scientific software used in drug development modeling and simulation.
- Familiarity with manufacturing execution and process automation technology used in the manufacture of pharmaceutical drug products.
- Experience with AWS technologies and service offerings
- Demonstrated knowledge of DevOps concepts and associated implementations
- Broad and deep technology learning agility
- Excellent self-management and team working skills
- Position is located at the Lilly Technology Center-North campus in Indianapolis, IN
- Travel may be required periodically