The Scientific Marketing Manager (SMM) is responsible for contributing to the division's strategic direction through leading interactions with thought leaders, governments, professional societies and strategic partnerships that lead to a customer-centric and goal achievement culture. This includes development of scientific marketing plans and activities that drive the flow of products to customers in a manner that highlights differentiation and value. The SMM will interface with global innovators, internally and externally, who specialize in laboratory excellence and integrated clinical patient care. Capabilities include relationship management, professional communications, and a deep understanding of the clinical laboratory and laboratory services provide across healthcare ecosystems.
- The SMM is expected to be capable of leading task targeted projects and strategies including the ability to develop and cultivate scientific proof points that directly link or indirectly associate the impact of the laboratory to key performance indicators within and outside the laboratory. This includes a ripple effects with clinicians, administration, patients and payers.
- The SMM may also be involved in robust business case assessment for emerging new opportunities and strategic scientific global marketing needs.
- Work with thought leaders, Governments and Professional Societies to develop scientific proof points and drive opportunities that ensure leading advancements across the healthcare ecosystem through leadership activities within and expanding beyond the core laboratory as well as market access and promotion of Abbott's scientific leadership.
- Complete business assessment and strategic recommendations of new projects and business opportunities that advance Abbott’s scientific brand.
- Provide direction and input to all in-house groups such as Public Affairs, Operations, Finance, R&D, Quality, Medical, Business Development and Regulatory that affect the successful achievement of business objectives.
- Responsible for implementing and maintaining the effectiveness of the quality system.
- Socialize project progress and direction among senior leadership and strategic partners.
- Responsible for creating a clear line of communication between Global Marketing and all other areas that affect their projects. This includes providing direction to the Commercial Areas/countries and all in-house groups.
- Interface with consultants, marketing research firms, ad agencies, other vendors, and customers to effectively manage and grow business profitably, while maintaining a customer focus woven throughout all activities. Partner with the Public Affairs department to drive positive media exposure.
- Develop, deliver and/or facilitate educational talks at key congresses on emerging and relevant scientific topics.
- Interface with customers, KOLs and agencies to generate, measure and cultivate scientific evidence and/or testimonials that reinforce Abbott’s scientific brand and reinforce the value of laboratory excellence and/or integrated clinical care excellence.
- Work with strategic partners to develop, review and leverage technologies and professional services for suitability and application to specific segments of Healthcare for improved patient outcomes and measurably better healthcare performance.
- Develop well researched business cases to support the strategic direction of global scientific customer-facing projects. Prepare funding/investment recommendations for senior management review and approval.
- Provide on-going assessment of competitive activities within technology innovation and new biomarker discovery through publication reviews, conference activities and voice of customer competitive intelligence.
- Actively work with Medical Affairs, Scientific teams and Licensing to assess and provide strategic direction of potential opportunities based on strong business case assessment to support go/no go decisions.
Education: Bachelors Degree in Business, life sciences, engineering or related technical discipline. MBA preferred.
Experience Required: Minimum 5 years of experience in Diagnostics Healthcare or adjacent market experience, Technology research experience and business case development and assessment of new or novel opportunities within the healthcare space.