At Bristol Myers Squibb, we are inspired by a single vision – transforming patients’ lives through science. In oncology, hematology, immunology and cardiovascular disease – and one of the most diverse and promising pipelines in the industry – each of our passionate colleagues contribute to innovations that drive meaningful change. We bring a human touch to every treatment we pioneer. Join us and make a difference.
The Discovery Biotherapeutics team at Bristol Myers Squibb seeks to understand the structure and function of complex molecules such as antibodies and endogenous proteins in order to optimize their utility as therapeutic agents. We collaborate with biology and translational scientists imbedded in the Thematic Research Centers in order to prosecute Targets and Biological pathways with disease modifying potential. By using a blend of internal and external technologies and capabilities, we work to discover and deliver first-in-class as well as best-in-class molecules that warrant clinical evaluation for patient benefit.
We are seeking an experienced and creative expert in protein/antibody engineering who will drive the advancement of novel therapeutics targeting the interface between the immune system and tumor microenvironment. The candidate will be expected to lead a a protein engineering team, co-lead projects, and develop in-vitro biochemical and immune assays to help develop new technologies and move pipeline projects forward.
- Lead a high performing team of protein/antibody engineers with varied specialty areas including display technologies, mechanistic elucidation, computational biology, protein chemistry/conjugation, structural biology, and biochemical and immuno assay screening
- Work closely with Tumor microenvironment discovery group to ensure successful progression of pipeline projects ranging from pre-clinical discovery to clinical proof-of-concept
- Provide scientific leadership, strategic, and technical guidance to build a robust biotherapeutics portfolio
- Engineer differentiated lead molecules including but not limited to antibodies, multispecifics, cytokines, fusion proteins, and ADCs
- Responsible for developing new technologies and platforms to stay at the cutting edge of biologics discovery
- Lead optimization towards optimal developability criteria
- Generate tools and participate in target discovery/validation activities.
- Function as a key member of the Redwood city Biotherapeutics Leadership Team
- Assist business development in assessing in and out-licensing opportunities.
- Contribute to patent filings and publications and present research finding to various audiences
- Ph.D. and postdoctoral work in Biochemistry, Immunology , Molecular & Cell Biology or similar fields with 12+ years of post Ph.D. experience
- Extensive experience in overseeing and co-leading projects from discovery to the clinic
- Demonstrated ability to lead a high performing multidisciplinary biologics drug discovery teams
- Extensive experience in engineering and characterization of protein and antibody variants as clinical leads
- Expertise in biology, immunology, and biochemistry to design and implement functional and cell-based assays to support technology development, antibody selections, and mechanistic studies is desirable
- Background in Oncology, Immuno-oncology, or tumor microenvironment is a plus
- Experience with various display technologies (yeast, phage, mammalian)
- Experience and knowledge in molecular biology, protein expression, and purification
- Evidence of scientific leadership with publication in top-tier journals
- Excellent written, oral, and organizational skill