This incumbent assumes the professional, scientific, consultative, organizational, administrative, and educational responsibilities for the services provided. The incumbent implements and maintains federal, state and local regulatory standards. Provides strategic leadership for multiple scientific functional areas; and ensures that scientific objectives are identified and achieved. Decisions would affect the financial, employee, or public relations posture of the company. Erroneous decisions or recommendations would result in failure of the overall success of the division or company operations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Research and Development Responsibilities — Plan and direct research and development appropriate to the business. Plan, develop and direct the correct experimental design for problem solving. Become involved with BPT development, testing and validation of a new assay/service
2. Develops long-range organizational objectives, operational business plans, and policies based on detailed knowledge of company and without appreciable direction. Recognized as an influential leader in the organization and industry. Work is reviewed on the basis of long-term impact on the business.
3. Interact effectively with accrediting/regulatory agencies, administrative officials, the industry, the medical device industry, and customers. Be aware of the current, applicable regulations/checklists along with respective interpretations.
a. Develop rapport with customers by phone and/or face-to-face meetings to improve customer satisfaction and convey Quest Diagnostics’ Values, Vision and Mission.
b. Build strategic relationships with the Directors of key departments, including but not limited to: Laboratory Operations, Sales, Legal, Compliance, Client Services, and Safety.
4. Participate in the development and execution of Quality Assurance and Improvement Plans. Evaluate performance with staff and re-define using the external/internal systems/tools available
5. Function as Quality Leader for Employer Solutions business, and liaison with Corporate Compliance, Legal, Regulatory and Medical Quality groups
6. Responsible for the analysis, production and presentation of the Drug Testing Index (DTI).
7. Provide consultation about Toxicological significance, interpretation, and correlation of data to direct and indirect customers.
· Remain current with relevant scientific literature
· Be an industry resource for discussion with internal/external customers
· Educate/train the technical staff so they are equipped to discuss with customers
8. Viewed as a leading expert in the industry. Demonstrates exceptional scientific creativity and vision. Develop information which extends knowledge in the industry.
9. Develop, lead and support industry educational programs for the industry and laboratory staff. Participate in programs within the industry (e.g., SOFT, DATIA, SAPAA).
10. Serve as organization spokesperson on industry, advanced programs and projects, including printed and published information. Able to convey ideas and information verbally and in writing in a detailed, yet concise, manner.
11. Interacts with executive level management and organization’s scientific partners. Plays a key role in corporate development of methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for projects and programs.
12. Select and monitor reference laboratories for service, analytic quality and licensure.
13. Able to fulfill the Laboratory Director, Clinical Consultant and Testing Personnel responsibilities as listed in CLIA ‘88 (42 C.F.R. §493.1407, 1419 and 1495, respectively) and other responsibilities required by applicable laws/regulations.
Typically supervises others, and may supervise other laboratory personnel.
Administrative functions may be delegated in writing to qualified laboratory managers and supervisors.
PhD in doctoral degree in a chemical, physical, biological, or clinical laboratory science
Minimum 5 yrs experience in toxicology related laboratory work, 10+ yrs preferred.
· Ability to sit or stand for long periods of time.
· Work in a laboratory environment and adhere to safety requirements
· Board Certification in appropriate specialty or subspecialty and eligible for Laboratory Director license
· Demonstrated strong customer service and interpersonal communication skills.
· Demonstrated success in overseeing a department or function, with direct impact on scientific, service metrics and financial results
· Strong influencing skills
· Proficient desktop skills, including Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Access (Preferred), internet etc.
· Previous experience in leading people required
Mon - Fri 8:30 AM - 5 PM
All requirements are subject to possible modifications to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Quest Diagnostics is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Women / Minorities / Veterans /Disabled / Sexual Orientation / Gender Identity.