The SCCM Engineer will manage the firm's application configuration and patch management program in support of the firm's security standards and policy by utilizing Microsoft System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM). Primary responsibilities include hands on standardization, documentation and management of all client software deployments, images, group policy and patching standards.
In this position, the employee must meet annual security education training and awareness (SETA) requirements. The employee must also assure that information created, acquired or maintained in performance of job duties is used in accordance with its intended purpose – to protect Troutman Sanders information and its infrastructure from external or internal threats – and to assure that the employee complies with Firm Policy requirements regarding information access, classification, security and privacy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages the operation of the Patch Management Lifecycle including: Collect vulnerability details from vendors, scan the workstations, identify patches for vulnerabilities, download and deploy patches, trouble-shoot issues, and generate status, issue and risk reports.
- Leads the development of patch deployment and roll-back packages, perform troubleshooting of failed patch deployments and coordinate with local IT operations to complete patch deployments.
- Develops and documents a Patch Management strategy for the firm that meets firm security standards.
- Strong working technical knowledge of Microsoft's SCCM, primarily focused on image management, packaging and patching.
- Responsible for the image lifecyle: create, test, deploy and troubleshoot all image related issues.
- Responsible for managing images on different platforms: physical computers, Citrix and VDI.
- Writes scripts and PowerShell programs to automate and refine processes used to support the images and packages.
- Creates/Administers/Troubleshoots Active Directory Group Policies.
- Develops application packaging task sequences. These applications range from very simple to very complex.
- Monthly patching, including Windows 10, Windows 7, Office 365 and 3rd-party application patching. Responsible for entire cycle, including downloading, distributing, deploying and remediation.
- Assesses computer hardware specifications for bios, driver and firmware updates and develops patch management activities in support of the firm's security standards and policies.
- Run SCCM reports and create SCCM custom reports or queries based on requests from management.
- Develop and maintain a thorough working knowledge of in-house applications, computer hardware, operating systems, on-line services and all other current technology used to support end users.
- Makes recommendations to the CIO Senior Management Team regarding enhancement of asset, configuration and patch management activities and strategies.
- Promptly responds to problems from Enterprise Applications Team members.
- Promptly responds to Security related tasks from the Enterprise Applications Team members.
- Mentors other team members on SCCM operational tasks.
- Provides systems analysis techniques and procedures for involved and complicated technical applications, including discussions with users, to determine software or system functional specifications and support services for firm systems.
- Provides application requirements/needs analysis, design, documentation, testing or modification and implementation of multifaceted computer systems and/or complex machine operating systems based on and related to user or system design specifications. This includes creating Change Control Requests as necessary.
- Participates in project planning activities for the firm. This includes use of project management skills of planning, organizing, securing and managing resources to bring about the successful completion of specific project goals and objectives.
- Works with vendors for operational and technical support for the firm's tools and applications.
- Creates, designs, and documents Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) also known as team policies, procedures and guidelines that direct employee actions.
- Continues to develop skills, knowledge and ability to improve processes and procedures and keep updated on trends and developments in the industry. This included meeting annual personal development goals.
- 3 to 5 years of experience with Microsoft SCCM Design, Implementation and Support.
- 3 to 5 years of experience with the following technologies:
- Framework and Software Distribution Management Tools such as SCCM, WSUS, Windows Operating systems, USMT, MDT, MSI customization tools.
- Remote Access and Security Software/Tools such as GPO Administration, Citrix and Citrix farm management, VPN and VDI set up and maintenance.
- Automation and Scripting languages/techniques such as PowerShell, Windows Command Script and Visual Basic Script.
- Experience working on deployments in environments with 1000+ users.
- Knowledge of Windows 10 operating system features and key upgrade requirements.
- Knowledge of Office 365 deployment strategies and key upgrade requirements.
- Strong Troubleshooting skills (Windows, Applications) required.
- Ability to stay organized and work on multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong troubleshooting skills and root cause analysis.
- Extensive expertise with a broad array of IT devices, applications and operating systems along with extensive experience functioning in desktop support role for patch management activities.
- Strong presentation skills and the ability to coordinate and work well with a diverse array of customer stakeholders and IT support contractors.
- Effective and excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills. Communication must be clear and concise.
- Exceptional customer service and problem solving skills including a high degree of patience and problem management techniques to resolve issues. Demonstrate the ability to recognize and react to situations with a sense of urgency and problem ownership with a focus on customer service.
- The qualities of a self-starter – Able to identify and resolve incidents and problems without constant supervision including ability to prioritize work to balance multiple projects and deadlines.
- Ability to work independently in a team environment with minimal supervision, take initiative, set priorities, follow through and see projects through to completion.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- BA or BS from accredited college or university strongly preferred and three to five years experience in assigned or related field preferred; or any equivalent combination of training, education and experience that demonstrates the ability to perform the duties of the position.
- 3 to 5 years of related and progressive experience specific experience in enterprise service administration, configuration management and patch management experience.
- Preferred Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE).