Under general supervision, responsibilities are focused on creating project specific SAS programs to interpret and analyze large health care claims and enrollment data sets and aggregating and manipulating data for the purpose of analyzing current projects. The SAS Programmer is responsible for the prediction of future trends and needs in health care. The SAS Programmer will convert data from client and other external sources into usable data sets and assist with all phases of quantitative research including programming, data management, statistical analysis, and the interpretation and presentation of results.
- Manage and maintain databases that contain large quantities of information (in excess of 50 million records), including use of data validation techniques.
- Write and design programs to create SAS datasets for use in data presentations to clients.
- Write customized programs to meet client needs, with a specific focus on enrollment, utilization, and spending trends.
- Write customized programs to build client-tailored fiscal impact models for rate setting and budgeting projects.
- Data extraction, data cleaning, formatting and manipulation using various SAS procedures and data step programming.
- Create customizable reports using SAS reporting procedures to present to senior leadership.
- Build and extract data from tables into external database using SQL.
- Provide updates and analytical responses when it comes to resolving issues.
- Develop and maintain macros and tools for statistical analysis and reporting.
- Assist in the development of client and external stakeholder data files for use in additional research.
- All other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Mathematics, Computer Science or related field is preferred. Work experience equivalent will be considered. Master’s degree preferred.
A minimum of 5 years of experience programming in SAS and a minimum of 3 years of experience working with health care data are both required. Demonstrated proficiency with the SAS programming language and use of SAS 9.3 as well as experience with SAS Macro and SQL is preferred. Intermediate Microsoft Office applications skills including MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. Familiarity with MS Access, Project and Visio.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong knowledge of healthcare policy and data.
- Experience in the manipulation and evaluation of large data sets of health care claims, managed care encounters and financial information.
- Creative problem-solving and demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and responsibilities.
- Understanding of computer languages used within database.
- Experience with software development life cycle process.
- Advanced knowledge of SQL and Visual Basic.
- Excellent computer skills.
- Strong analytical and statistical skills.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Strong communication skills
- Superior interpersonal skills.
- Ability to multi-task and adhere to strict deadlines.