Mizuho Americas LLC seeks a highly motivated individual for the position of Assistant Vice President/Officer – SAS Modeler/Data Scientist in its Capital Management unit.
The candidate will serve as a subject matter expert to support Mizuho’s capital management function. Projects will span numerous areas including,
(i) developing and enhancing forecasts for Pre-Provision Net Revenue (PPNR) and balance sheet line items found in the Federal Reserve’s regulatory reporting forms and
(ii) general tasks associated with managing the bank’s capital position.
The candidate would be expected to take a leading role in developing and enhancing models and should produce high-quality SAS code and Microsoft Excel analyses on an independent basis. Working closely with other subject matter experts, the candidate would promote a collaborative and innovative work environment within the Capital Management unit and across the bank.
The candidate will provide substantial contributions to the following activities:
- Participate in the implementation and enhancement of capital management practices within the team.
- Design, implement, and enhance SAS code to support high quality PPNR and balance models that exceed supervisory expectations
- Develop and enhance Microsoft Excel based approaches for monitoring and estimating the bank’s capital position
- Evaluate data to identify necessary adjustments and work closely with business users to create robust forecasting models and historical analyses
- Participate in documenting PPNR and balance models in accordance with Federal Reserve SR 11-7 requirements
- Manage projects and deepen relationships with internal and external counterparties to enhance institutional knowledge to support the PPNR and balance model process
- Serve as a subject matter expert in a non-managerial role
- Contribute to other initiatives that may arise on an ad-hoc basis
- 3-5 years of relevant work experience in the financial services industry
- Significant knowledge and experience with SAS and/or Matlab, as well as Microsoft Excel in a business environment
- Robust understanding of statistical concepts, regression-based forecasting models and time series analysis
- Advanced fluency with bank financial and accounting concepts.
- A high level of flexibility and a strong willingness to fulfill team goals in an environment of changing conditions and deadlines
- Detail oriented and able to work independently to produce high quality work products that require limited managerial oversight
- Ability to effectively analyze large data sets and identify patterns and insights
- Good communication skills (presentation and written) with an ability to explain underlying drivers and key takeaways from modeled data outputs to technical and non-technical audiences
- Comfortable with Bloomberg functionality and data retrieval
- Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree in areas such as Statistics, Financial Engineering, Econometrics, Mathematics, Finance, Engineering or other advanced quantitative field. Masters considered a plus.
- Preference for PPNR and balance modeling experience obtained in a capital stress testing function or other modeling experience from a risk management function gained through direct employment at one of the following: i) a firm supervised by the Federal Reserve that is subject to CCAR requirements; ii) a financial institution supervised in accordance with Dodd-Frank stress testing (DFAST) requirements; and iii) a Big 4 or strategy consulting firm providing services to clients in the preceding categories
- Eligible to work in the U.S.