Accountable for the full lifecycle management of company master data assets for an assigned domain, from initial creation through final elimination, in order to improve and maintain timeliness and quality of corporate master data. Recognized as an expert when representing master data initiatives to others within the company. Guide company personnel to ensure the continuous improvement of business results through the implementation, ongoing use and management of standardized Master Data Government processes, tools and accountabilities.
Through 2021 this role will be primarily focused on the company’s SAP S4HANA ERP implementation project, after which the role will be integrated into the ongoing operation of the company. For the project, the Master Data Lead will perform business data activities in support of data transformation and migration with ad-hocsupport from the associated Business Process Owner (BPO). Examples of business data activities include data profiling and cleansing of legacy source data, defining data mapping and transformation logic, data preparation, supporting mock data loads, and data validation and reconciliation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Facilitate and be accountable for the full lifecycle management of company master data assets for an assigned domain, from initial creation through final elimination, in order to improve and maintain timeliness and quality of corporate master data. This will include managing data governance procedures, ongoing maintenance of data objects within the domain, reviewing data quality and spearheading key data decisions.
- Lead the development of data definitions, business rules and processes that support and enforce data quality standards. Establish procedures for the creation, collection, maintenance, consumption and elimination (purging) of the data.
- Promote good master data practices by: (1) driving consistency in data structures for a given domain, (2) defining data standards (elements, definitions, naming conventions, data structure requirements, etcetera) for master data objects within the domain, including business rules, definitions and clearly defined ranges of acceptable values for the critical attributes, and (3) leveraging the data standards and rules to passively or actively manage data quality across master data objects within the assigned domain.
- Serve as the “first line of defense” in fielding opportunities to improve data quality as well as resolving data issues within the assigned domain. Interface with functional and IT personnel, taking a lead role in the analysis, research, and resolution of master data issues specific to the assigned domain. Identify root causes of data quality problems within their assigned area of stewardship and identifies sustainable solutions. Identify and deliver on opportunities to improve data quality, policies, processes and ownership. Develop and perform independent data quality analyses relevant to their assigned area of stewardship,
- Train company personnel on: (1) master data management policies, procedures, tools and accountabilities; (2) good master data practices; and (3) proper use of data under their stewardship.
- Continue personal professional development in the areas of business, leadership, project management, data analytics, data management, SAP and other relevant information technology tools. Continue to expand knowledge of the company's business with a focus on understanding the impact master data has on internal operations. Cross-train on business software applications used at the company, with an emphasis on maintaining knowledge of SAP S4HANA ERP and any successor software.
- Travel (which will include overnights) as required to company sites, suppliers and training sites.
ERP Implementation Project Duties (also may be used for future business acquisitions):
Responsible for data readiness, data transformation, data migration and eventual data maintenance within SAP ERP for data objects within assigned domain in support of the ERP Implementation Project.
Acquire knowledge of existing legacy data, data structures and data landscape to participate in data profiling, data cleansing and data de-duplication activities. Execute or lead the execution of the aforementioned activities.
Leverage existing SAP data expertise and experience, combined with knowledge gained of the specific processes within the company’s SAP solution to define future data for in-scope SAP data objects. This will include determining data rules and definitions within SAP, obtaining buy-in from stakeholders and documenting the information. Work closely with data, business and IT personnel team members on migration activities, including source data analysis, data extraction, definition of active data, historical data requirements, legacy system retention requirements and capturing data conversion logic in functional and technical specifications.
Assist assigned resources with building data loading programs and tools and testing them through mock loads and verification cycles. Verify and validate converted data obtained from SAP; this activity will include helping to log results, resolve conversion issues and re-test data defects for all mock loads, testing cycles, dress rehearsals and final cutover.
Serve as the focal point of contact between the data team and the business team on all data related activities on the project within your domain.
Education and Experience:
- BSc/BA in Business, Information Systems, Computer Science, or Engineering and a minimum of 5 years of SAP ERP experience working directly in the assigned domain business process area or in the data area, having gained a thorough knowledge of the data objects within the assigned domain. Direct experience performing data activities associated with an enterprise ERP (preferably SAP) implementation or transformation project and/or via rolling acquired companies into in existing enterprise ERP solution strongly preferred.
- Experience working in a manufacturing or distribution company preferred, but not required.
- SAP Experience:
- Knowledge of S4HANA data migration approach, tools, and roles & responsibilities.
- Strong knowledge of assigned domain master data objects and transaction data objects; including SAP T-codes, DB tables, data load utilities.
- Experience of 1-2 S4HANA full-scale data migration projects supporting the assigned domain business process and data objects.
- Working knowledge of SAP assigned domain business processes.
- Experience of SAP data load utilities like LSMW or SAP Cockpit (preferred).
Skills and Competencies:
- Fast learner with ability to work independently, with limited direction.
- Result-oriented, well-organized, having attention to detail.
- Quality minded; highly accurate. Excellent analytical skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills, both verbal and written. Collaborative approach.
- Team player, having ability to work effectively in cross-functional, fast-paced project environment.
- Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills. Can do attitude.
- Intermediate Microsoft Office skills, to include MS PowerPoint and MS Excel required.
- Basic to intermediate knowledge of SQL query preferred. Knowledge data load utilities like LSMW or S4HANA data migration cockpit is preferred. Experience using BI reporting tools to develop queries, listings and reports strongly preferred.