The purpose of the role of SAP Functional Consultant consists of two main areas of responsibility, project delivery and service delivery. Each individual at this level can be responsible for activities within project delivery, service delivery or a combination of both areas.
This is a role which involves working largely on their own initiative or as part of a SAP design/service team.
Project delivery responsibilities
The SAP Functional Consultant Design will lead and support the Design Governance within their own SAP CoE Solution Area, recommending and approving designs to take forward to implementation and producing High Level designs for new systems and changes of any size and complexity. They will be looked to as the “expert” within their Functional Area to understand, evaluate and articulate recommendations for solutions that provide the best outcome for customers. They will also be expected to configure SAP modules in line with design requirements as well as peer review designs / configuration from other Functional Consultants in the SAP area.
Service delivery responsibilities involve helping to sustain and optimize SAP Applications by ensuring they are managed effectively. They are the single point of contact for a specific set of SAP applications/components, providing application specific expertise.
- Gathers and analyzes internal business requirements by means of interviews, workflow analyses and facilitated discussions with users.
- Translates users' business requirements into detailed functional designs for development, testing and implementation.
- Applies methodologies such as Unified Modeling Language ("UML") and Rational Unified Process ("RUP") and prepares detailed specifications using case statements and related documentation.
- Identifies and communicates risks and issues impacting business rules, functional requirements and specifications.
- Participates in and contributes to managing the scope of applications and related changes.
- Assists quality assurance with functional test case reviews.
- Collaborates with stakeholders on the evaluation of the feasibility, effort and costs to implement requirements.
- Creates training materials and may assist with user orientation and training.
- Interacts with internal and external peers and managers to exchange complex information related to areas of specialization. Serves as a liaison between engineering, quality assurance and non-technical stakeholders throughout the development and deployment process.
- Anticipates and prevents problems and roadblocks before they occur.
- Performs as subject matter advisor to less experienced team members. May participate in teaching and training members of work team.
- Mentors less experienced members of the team.
Walgreens, one of the nation's largest drugstore chains, is included in the Retail Pharmacy USA Division of Walgreens Boots Alliance, Inc., the first global pharmacy-led, health and wellbeing enterprise. More than 10 million customers interact with Walgreens each day in communities across America, using the most convenient, multichannel access to consumer goods and services and trusted, cost-effective pharmacy, health and wellness services and advice. Walgreens operates 8,175 drugstores with a presence in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. Walgreens omnichannel business includes Walgreens.com. Approximately 400 Walgreens stores offer Healthcare Clinic or other provider retail clinic services.
As the neighborhood drugstore and retailer, our goal is to make health and happiness simpler, easier and within reach. And we remain a trusted wellness provider offering convenient access to important health services, such as immunizations and an array of pharmacy services that can help patients improve their health. To our team members, Walgreens represents a unique opportunity to excel in their careers in a welcoming and inclusive environment. We offer the chance to work in a truly supportive environment, and be a part of a progressive organization dedicated to the well-being of our customers, team members and the communities we all call home.
- Bachelor's degree and at least 5 years of experience as a Business Systems Analyst OR a High School Diploma / GED and at least 8 years of experience as a Business Systems Analyst.
- At least 3 years of experience with technical design process and models.
- At least 3 years of experience with requirements specification and development, such as process/functional requirements definition methods, JAD/RAD sessions, use case development, process flow diagrams.
- At least 2 years of experience with of SDLC / SW development processes, such as Unified Modeling Language ("UML") and / or Rational Unified Process ("RUP"), Agile, Waterfall)..
- Experience using consulting skills and developing client relationships.
- Experience using analytical skills, tools and techniques to investigate information and to draw conclusions.
- Experience in identifying operational issues and recommending and implementing strategies to resolve problems.
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time for business purposes (within state and out of state).
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Mathematics
- Master's Degree or MBA
- Experience interacting at the executive level.
- Experience developing and delivering on strategies and objectives.
- Extensive SAP Module experience (at least 5 years) – specifically BW, BO
- A broad and balanced understanding of IT capabilities, methods and technologies
- Strong experience of the design and development of IT solutions
- Experience of working in an out-sourced environment
- Experience of at least 2 SAP project lifecycles
- Experience of influencing senior stakeholders on the solutions for proposed initiatives
- Has in-depth commercial and technical expertise including several years’ experience of working within an IT service area, preferably in a large retail organization
- ITIL Qualification (at Expert level)
- Broad experience of application management
- Good working knowledge of incident, problem management and change management tools
- Has substantial experience of dealing with users and suppliers
- Understanding of retail environments, including retail process
- In-depth knowledge of specific IT retail environments