Responsible for the solution design, build/configuration, testing, deployment, support, integrity and ongoing management of the SAP S/4HANA ERP solution serving the company. Understand business requirements, challenges and opportunities and lead the design, enablement and continuous business support of the SAP ERP solution to meet established business objectives. Serve as the SAP ERP functional expert for the company by possessing a deep and comprehensive knowledge of functional business processes and a comprehensive knowledge of SAP applications and related tools/systems that support those processes. Partner effectively with the all business functions, IT and with third-party partners; facilitate alignment between these parties to optimally achieve desired results.
Build, develop, lead and maintain a high performing team of SAP Functional Leads that delivers on all functional aspects of the SAP S/4HANA ERP solution addressing company needs.
Through 2021 this role will be primarily focused on the company’s SAP S4HANA ERP implementation project, after which the role will be integrated into the ongoing operation of the company. For the project, represent the company’s interests in the consultant-led SAP solution design, systems build/configuration, extensive testing cycles and deployment of the SAP ERP solution; working closely with company business team members, IT team members, external consultants and third party software providers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Lead the implementation and ongoing operational support of the SAP S/4HANA ERP application for the entire company.
- Hire, develop, maintain & retain (collectively “staff”) the SAP Applications Functional Team with capable personnel willing and able to meet the company's present and future goals/objectives/business requirements accomplished via the enablement of SAP solution functionality. Ensure employee development takes place to: 1 - Continue to provide a capable team able to meet the company's dynamic business requirements. 2 - Be knowledgeable of new developments in the IT field (especially SAP ERP), in order for the company to be able to properly leverage new technologies. 3 - Address personal staff development goals. Provide a desirable work environment, in order to attract and retain employees, thus maximizing the investment the company has made in individuals hired and developed.
- Provide thought leadership in support of deployment projects as well as all other projects within the areas of responsibility.
- Lead and participate in the collaboration with business process owners and business subject matter resources across the company to: understand/gather/document business requirements; analyze/design/document business processes; translate business requirements into functional designs; conduct fit/gap analyses and author functional specifications.
- Lead and participate in configuration of the SAP solution to enable desired business processes/functionality.
- Interface with IT development staff and third party software providers (SAP and others) as required for technical matters.
- Lead and participate in: the development of test scripts; performance of unit, integration, regression and user acceptance testing; and assistance with performance testing.
- Lead and participate in determining change impacts and assist with change management; develop and conduct user training.
- Support software deployment.
- Lead ongoing support, maintenance, updates, solution quality and continuous improvement of the SAP S/4HANA ERP solution for the company. As a back up to your team, serve as the “first line of defense” for ongoing support for functional/technical or process issues. Troubleshoot production issues, provides resolutions and conducts root cause analysis. Responsible for reviewing and managing ongoing system quality.
- Assess and manage future changes/enhancements/software updates. Accountable for the integrity of the SAP S/4HANA solution, and as such driving for the right governance of changes to the functionality and capabilities delivered through the solution.
- Continue personal professional development in the areas of business, leadership, project management, SAP and other relevant information technology tools. Continue to expand knowledge of the company's business with a focus on understanding the impact the business processes have on internal operations. Cross-train on business software applications used at the company, with an emphasis on maintaining knowledge of SAP S/4HANA ERP and any successor software.
- Travel (which will include overnights) as required to company sites, suppliers and training sites.
ERP Implementation Project Duties (also may be used for future business acquisitions):
As part of the Solution Design Phase, provide the company’s perspective on various solution options to meet critical business requirements – bringing previous experience, SAP expertise and independent research to bear. Participate in the Solution Design Council that will make major system decisions and accept the solution that will be maintained at the company. Work with the rest of team to finalize the non-functional solution requirements.
Throughout the Build Phase, help coordinate IT and business resources to obtain configuration values and functional specification information. Oversee configuration, development, and unit testing; validate the solution; gain knowledge transfer on the end-state solution; review the solution with the business and plan the long-term support for SAP solution for the company. Sign off on all system and solution documentation.
Oversee all legacy and integration work for the company, coordinating with other legacy IT experts to design interfaces and interim-states, execute any system work that is required in the legacy systems, test integration and business scenarios, train legacy end-users, finalize error handling procedures, document legacy changes and processes, deploy updated functionality and support live legacy changes.
In the Test Phases, validate the test scripts, assist with determining Performance Testing scenarios, review and oversee Performance Testing scripts, oversee the resolution of solution defects identified throughout various test cycles, review cutover plans, participate in mock cutovers, and execute system readiness activities. Help define the support organization, design support procedures and enable support tools.
In the Deployment Phase, participate in deployment readiness, cutover, and support preparation activities. Oversee post-implementation support and transition to long-term support providers.
Education and Experience:
- BSc/BA in Business, Information Systems, Computer Science, or Engineering and a minimum of 8 years of experience using SAP ERP, with S/4HANA experience strongly preferred. Must have company-wide functional expertise by possessing a deep and comprehensive knowledge of both enterprise-wide business processes and of SAP ERP (S/4HANA preferred) functionality and related tools/systems. Strong knowledge of enterprise-wide master data and transaction data objects. Knowledge of key integration points and adjacent software components. Prior supervisory experience a plus.
- Experience working in a manufacturing or distribution company preferred, but not required.
- IT Infrastructure Library (ITIL) Foundations certification, or willingness to obtain this certification.
- SAP ERP (S4HANA strongly preferred) full-scale implementation project experiencesupporting the enablement of enterprise-wide business processes within SAP software preferred. Experience with implementation tools, such as Solution Manager and HP ALM preferred.
Skills and Competencies:
- Strong management and leadership skills required.
- Ability to be detailed-oriented while still maintaining a big picture perspective. Must have a solid understanding of corporate-wide functions, specifically how technology supports business processes. Excellent business acumen.
- Highly collaborative work style. Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build successful professional working relationships. Ability to work effectively in a cross-functional, fast-paced project environment.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills. Will be expected to communicate to employees and suppliers at all levels (including company executives) via: face to face meetings, conference calls, written messages and project documentation. Ideal candidate must have excellent documentation skills, presentation skills and meeting facilitation skills.
- Creative and analytical. Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills. Can do attitude.
- Ability to react under pressure to any given situation that may arise, in a professional manner and with positive results, in support of a multi-location, 7 X 24 environment.
- Ability to be the liaison between technology and the business.
- Ability to work independently, with limited direction, to achieve expected results.
- Basic to intermediate Microsoft Office skills, to include MS PowerPoint and MS Excel.
- Excellent project management skills.