The Sales Strategy Director is responsible for collaborating with the Sales Leaders in their assigned territories to develop and execute sales strategies that support revenue growth aligned to the territory. This position works in close partnership with the Marketing team. They look 12-24 months out from upcoming sales opportunities and adoptions to identify and quantify the opportunities and then develop a strategic plan in order to improve chances of capturing the business. They impact the development of market-driven solutions by providing valuable field-based feedback to product development, product management, and product marketing. The territory for the Sales Strategy Director position includes: Illinois, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana and Wisconsin.
***This position can be based in any location within the territory noted – must be accessible to an airport***
- Participate in ‘on the ground’ primary and secondary research and intelligence gathering 12-24 months out from key opportunities or upcoming state adoptions in order to develop a strategic plan of attack to improve chances to win the business.
- Work with the product development teams to influence development of product to meet the needs of the market.
- Collaborate with Product Development and Marketing to create strategies to position the market and sales organization to receive the solution/product before is it launched.
- Partner with sales leadership to develop strategies and plan for a comprehensive pre-work plan to lay the foundation for success.
- Collaborate effectively with the Marketing team in assigned region to ensure that sales strategies and marketing strategies and tactics are aligned and effective.
- Orchestrate solution strategies with members of Sales Teams.
- Collaborate with internal resources on marketing and presentation creation that supports the strategy and customer needs.
- Monitor product development, product marketing and services to ensure timelines are met for state submissions and/or key opportunities.
- Work with Product Management and Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Finance to develop creative pricing strategies for current market needs.
- Partner with General Managers and Area Sales Directors to develop solutions and timelines.
- Partner with General Managers and Area Sales Directors to support their Big Bets.
- Initiate meetings and on-going planning with Product Development and Marketing, Sales Enablement, Content Specialist Group, Services, and Learning Architects around the new products being developed.
- Facilitate communication and solution strategies before, during, and after opportunities at the state or district level.
- Collaborate with Sales, Product Development and Marketing, and Content Specialist Group to create and execute pilot strategies.
- Partner with Content Specialist Group pilot managers to implement best practices for pilots across the nation.
- Collaborate with Sales Enablement and otherinternal resources to develop comprehensive pre-work plans that are timely and relevant with training for all stakeholders in Global Sales.
- Ensure development of solutions through a competitive lens.
Partner with Marketing, Product Development, and Sales Enablement to implement strategies that span across product, messaging, marketing assets, and presentations to ensure they are aligned for a successful launch to the customer.
Required Education, Experience and Skills:
- This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree; focus in Education, Marketing or related field preferred, but not required.
- 7 years’ salesexperience with a proven track record in meeting quota.
- MS Office; Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
Preferred Education, Experience, Knowledge and Skills:
- Master’s degree desirable.
- Educational salesexperience and teaching skills are desirable.
- Previous experience working effectively in a matrix organization preferred.
- Previous experience working on marketing campaigns a plus.
- Experience with Salesforce.com or a similar CRM preferred.
- Requires heavy travel approximately 50% – driving and air travel and some overnight.
- Acceptable driving record required.
- Must be able to remain seated for extended periods of time, 4+ hours.
- Must be able to stand and present to audiences for 2+ hours.
- Frequently lifting, reaching, and moving product up to 60 lbs.