A Brief Summary of This Position:
The Sales Manager is primarily responsible for planning and coordinating sales and marketing activities in an assigned territory through both direct sales and manufacturers’ agents for maximum profit at a minimum cost. This position reports into the National Sales Manager. The Sales Manager will have high involvement in customer relations, distribution, new product identification and development, and information and implementation of sales policy and procedures.
- Direct an aggressive sales/marketing program to achieve budgeted sales volume at maximum profit with minimum expense.
- Maintain accounts receivable at an acceptable level through weekly review with corporate divisional credit manager.
- Maintain an agent evaluation/developmentprogram to improve the agent in his/her areas of weakness.Written review and analysis with National Sales Manager as needed.
- Regularly identify and evaluate competition as to price levels, service, product range, and quality as applicable to Valmont customers.
- Develop and maintain written/digital information files on existing customers, their applications, prospects/new customers, and their applications for our present products, and evaluations on new markets/customers and their products.
- Follow-up qualified prospective new accounts within agreed upon time frame as established by the National Sales Manager.
- Operate within expense budgets for sales, travel and entertainment.
- Ensure appropriate follow-up on inquiries utilizing Inside Sales Representatives and Manufacturer’s Agents.
- Establish and maintain communications as required with Valmont’s agents and customers to ensure customer and divisional goals are met.
- Develop personal management abilities including product knowledge, organization of time and travel, and the ability to identify and solve problems.
- Effectively handle claims and customer complaints within specified area as per company policy as directed by National Sales Manager.Maintain marketing claims below .040% of total sales.
- Evaluate and implement special projects at the direction of National Sales Manager.This may include new sizes or applications from inception to successful introduction.
- Maintain high visibility in the marketplace through semi-weekly sales calls with manufacturer’s agents.
- This role requires approximately 30% domestic travel including overnight stays.
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Preferred Bachelor’s Degree with 6+ years relevant experience OR Associates Degree with 8+ years of relevant experience OR 10+ years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated ability to accurately analyze financials
- Acceptable prior sales performance record
- Acceptable attendance history
- The ability to travel overnight domestically up to 50% of the month (average approximately 30%)
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Passion and integrity with the drive to excel and deliver exceptional results
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications:
- Previous experience in welded steel tubing/pipe sales or outside industrial sales experience
- A degree in Marketing, Sales, Business or Finance related field
- Previous ASTM specification experience
- Ten (10) years of relevant work experience