Sales Manager - Utility / Public Power
5 - 7 years experience •
This position reports to the Utility Manager of Business Development and Sales and has significant contact with prospects and NISC Members in the Cooperative, Municipal and Public Power markets.
This position is responsible for prospecting, developing and closing sales opportunities, and creating and managing Member and prospect relationships.
This position relies heavily on strategic selling and consulting of multiple opportunities, as aligned with NISC’s mission and value statements and relative market approach.
- Manage the NISC sales cycle for all assigned prospects.
- Develop and maintain strong, professional relationships with all prospects and Members.
- Develop a pipeline and sales strategy for your territory aligned with NISC’s strategic growth.
- Maintain accurate records of all pricing, sales and activity reports.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of all NISC solutions and services
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of NISC competition and relative SWOT analysis
- Attend conferences and trade shows as part of the marketing plan to promote NISC’s solutions to prospective Members.
- Participate as appropriate in industry association forums, councils, and conferences.
- Report the status of sales and potential sales to management as appropriate.
- Manage process to analyze and respond to RFP / RFQ opportunities working with Sales Operations and Product teams
- Manage and lead software demonstrations by providing a needs assessment and strategic approach for Demonstration and Manager based on prospect needs.
- Work cohesively with Sales Operations, Demonstration and Management to assess opportunities, and approach of all opportunities.
- Utilize Miller Heiman Strategic Selling principles to manage sales strategy
Desired Job Experience:
- 5+ years of Utility enterprise software sales experience.
- Exceptional customer relationship management and project management skills.
- Experience managing the sales process through salesforce.com
- Ability to establish credibility with users at all management levels of within all prospect departments.
- Ability to sell based on Value Propositions.
- Advanced experience with organizing, evaluating and responding to RFIs, RFQs and RFPs.
- Ability to identify key performance indicators and define sound business processes aligned with NISC values and market approach.
- Mastery of all Utility departmental software needs and the value of enterprise integration.
- Understanding of other NISC third-party integrated applications and services, such as Engineering and Operations and PCI compliance.
- Superior verbal and written interpersonal / communication, presentation and training skills.
- Superior telephone etiquette and an ability to deal effectively with Prospects/Member.
- Superior research and problem solving skills that include innovation and the ability to identify long-term solutions that influence NISC Members.
- Ability to manage challenging and difficult situations in a professional and effective manner.
- Ability to effectively lead, influence, teach and mentor others.
- Ability to interact positively with internal/external teams, as well as work independently.
- Ability to travel as often as necessary to meet the goals and objectives of the position.
- Commitment to NISC’s Statement of Shared Values.
- Public Power utility enterprise sales experience a plus.
Bachelors Degree in a business-related field or equivalent experience.
Completion of Miller Heiman Strategic Selling or similar sales process methodology
Minimum Physical Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employees must be able to see, speak, and hear, to operate computer keyboards or office equipment, and are required to stand, walk, and sit.
Management may modify this job description by assigning or reassigning duties and responsibilities at any time.
Learn more about NISC at