ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- Define and execute business strategies for profitably growing existing business and generating new business.
- Provide leadership to coordinate sales and marketing programs with the plant's manufacturing and operations management, customer service and finance functions to ensure maximum effectiveness and profitability.
- Develop and monitor procedures regarding new account activity.
- Interface with Corporate Sales & Marketing to maximize Major Account Program.
- Lead or co-lead key sales initiatives for larger accounts or national accounts. Coordinate with other Sales Managers and corporate Sales and Marketing personnel as needed.
- Participate in weekly cost control meetings and create forecasts that closely mirror actual results by the end of the month.
- Develop pricing and RFPs that contribute to profitability and volume forecasts outlined for year.
- Assist and/or lead collection efforts in conjunction with Finance as appropriate.
- Ensure sales organization is following corporate safety policies through safe behaviors and practices. This will occur through training, communications and monitoring.
- Lead an integrated talent management process for the department. Assess and develop competencies of team in consultation with General Manager, Director, Sales and Marketing and Human Resources.
- Coach and develop sales representatives and other employees to maximize their effectiveness. Identify and develop high potential employees for levels of greater responsibility and scope.
- Recruit talent that will address needs of facility and fill technical and competency gaps within organization.
- Ensure performance feedback and appraisals are completed effectively and on a timely basis. Reward and recognize employees with a pay for performance approach.
- Hold people accountable for performance; work with under-performers on training assistance, or put them in documented performance improvement plans and/or disciplinary programs as necessary.
- Maintains existing customer relationships and orders by coordinating with customer service, production and shipping. 30% (of time)
- Recruits, trains, mentors and motivates sales and customer service team to meet current and future business needs. 25%
- Targets and develops new sales relationships to increase sales volume and maximize profitability. 20%
- Provides accurate forecasts through knowledge of market and customer base. 10%
- Compiles and analyzes competitive sales information and recommends actions pertaining to new product development, product improvement, pricing and distribution. 5%
- Develop and implement sales policies and procedures. 5%
- Other duties as assigned. 5%
Supervises subordinate employees. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Bachelor's degree in Marketing, Business or related field preferred.
- Post graduate training or degree in Marketing, Business or Management preferred.
Previous Work Experience
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible business to business sales manager experience.
- Will have led the sales functions at a manufacturing site or significant operation within the facility.
- Will have superb sales, customer service, administrative as well as verbal and written communication skills.
- Will have ideally had previous experience leading a project team or group of employees.
- Must possess a strong business and financial background and be process and results-driven.
- Experience within Corrugated, paper or similar manufacturing environments are preferred.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
ROUTINE DECISIONS AND FORMAL POLICY SETTING
Performs duties within scope of general policies, procedures and objectives. Analyzes problems and performs needs assessments. Uses judgment in adapting broad guidelines to achieve desired result. Regularly exercises independent judgment within accepted practices. Makes recommendations that affect policies, procedures and practices. Refers exceptions to policy and procedures to the supervisor. Develops objectives and general policies and procedures for a specific program or functional area of responsibility within general scope of established operational goals and plans. Day-to-day work and decisions do not require direction or review by immediate supervisor. End results are reviewed by supervisor. Strategic issues are referred to supervisor. Develops strategic direction, goals, plans and policies for an area of responsibility. Sets broad objectives and is accountable for overall results in respective area of responsibility. Authority to make independent decisions on matters of significance. Requires high degree of independent judgment and problem solving of complex problems.
Physical Activities Required to Satisfactorily Perform the Job
Talking: Expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word. Those activities that demand detailed or important instructions spoken to other workers accurately, loudly or quickly
Driving: Minimum standards required by State Law (including license).
Environmental Conditions to which incumbent is exposed:
None: The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as typical office or administrative work).