The Inside Sales Manager is responsible for strategically leading the Inside Sales Team. As the team leader, the Inside Sales Manager is accountable for achieving and exceeding department level business objectives at the regional level. Deliverables include developing & deploying execution strategies; recruiting, hiring, training, managing and developing Inside Sales staff; collaboration with field sales and other commercial managers in the successful execution of cross-departmental projects; providing feedback and proposals to Regional senior/executive sales management to assist executive decisions; managing department level budget allocation/analysis, accurate sales forecasting/analysis, departmental ROI analysis and reporting to regional senior/executive management.
The Inside Sales Manager’s team is responsible for lead qualification, assisting field sales staff with pre-sales customer-facing activities and handling the entire sales process for target products, accounts and/or opportunities below a defined revenue threshold.
All About You
- Leads, inspires, controls, organizes and directs both the tactical and strategic activities. Develops systems and tools to enable and track optimal sales performance. Ensures a high level of liaison with other departments & staff to ensure co-ordination of activities and understanding of common goals. Provides regular reports on status of specific sales, the market and competitor activities. Represents the company professionally, ethically and morally at all times.
- Talent Development activities include developing training plans with employees to ensure they have the necessary expertise to successfully perform their jobs, provide ongoing guidance to employees, and career counseling to help employees develop and advance in their careers.
- Performance management activities include setting performance standards, ensuring employees have appropriate and realistic job goals, providing ongoing feedback about employees’ performance, conducting performance appraisals, including assessing how the employees have performed and how they can improve their performance, developing performance improvement plans and providing rewards for employee accomplishments.
- Directly assists at high value customer accounts to facilitate the sale of Illumina’s products and services. Ensures that Inside Sales personnel record timely and accurate account/contact details within Illumina’s CRM database. Responsible for ensuring that Illumina’s commitment to customer satisfaction is performed, delivered, and constantly improved.
- Routinely forecasts, monitors, and controls expenses within assigned expense budgets. Routinely and accurately forecasts customer demand (i.e., product quantities and dollars, orders, shipments).
- Performs other duties as assigned. All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
- 7+ years successful track record in sales including 3+ years successful track record in sales management and 1+ year’s successful track record in managing sales operations or related commercial roles in a highly technical industry strongly preferred. 3+ years in genetics or a related life sciences field preferred.
- Proven track record of outstanding performance in creating, expanding and managing new departments and business functions and delivering strong ROI on departmental budget allocations. Strong sales, sales management and general management aptitude and track record.
- Proven ability to quickly develop expertise in highly technical products/services, optimally match them to customer needs and successfully execute sales in a highly competitive sales environment. Proven ability to identify optimum target markets and effective sales strategies to maximize ROI on sales activities. Knowledge of the genomics, genotyping, gene expression, sequencing and pharmaceutical markets is highly desirable.
- Ability to effectively communicate and influence internal and external audiences, using both oral and written communication/presentation skills. Well-developed inter-personal and leadership skills. Highly motivated and successful individual who can build and maintain a positive, challenging and dynamic work environment for all departments under management.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a science/technical or business field required. Genetics, microbiology or a related degree strongly preferred. MS or PhD degree in genetics or a related field a plus. MBA degree or equivalent preferred.