The Sales Manager plays a pivotal role in the management of the team members. Responsible for the overall management of assigned market(s), achieving client deliverables related to each client's budget and bonus objectives, achieving the market's Profit and Loss ("P&L") targets, generating new business opportunities, and managing the business unit operations. Title of Sales Manager (vs. Director Sales) is awarded based on a combination of the market's volume, number of customers, associated complexity, and the market's strategic importance.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities
Achieve P&L Targets
- Manage business unit resources to deliver EBITDA* objective. [* Earnings Before Interest, Taxes, Depreciation, and Amortization]
Drive Revenue Growth
- Identify revenue opportunities and align business unit resources to gain those new revenue opportunities.
- Work with the Business Development Manager (BDM) to organize business unit team to retain and grow all client relationships. In conjunction with the BDM, ensure that a plan is in place with each client to achieve client Key Performance Indicators ("KPIs") to create "raving fans".
- Work with all roles that have direct customer responsibility to build and nurture strong customer relationships at the mid-level of the organization; help sales associates establish a pattern of regular communication and business reviews to create "raving fans" of our customers.
- Manage and lead staffing priorities so that workload balancing/utilization are maximized. Engage associates so that they are a part of the ongoing solution. Set and communicate clear expectations.
- Manage talent to meet future business needs by identifying high potential(s) within the team, create and implement individual development plans for high potential(s), identify a successor, and effectively manage associates who are not satisfactorily achieving ASM, client, and/or customer performance/business objectives.
- Ability to anticipate future market changes so that resources can be adjusted accordingly; this includes planning for new revenue growth as well as customer shifts/consolidations.
Hires, retains, trains, coaches, guides, directs, and develops direct reports using company-wide processes, tools and resources
May delegate work of others and provide guidance, direction and mentoring to indirect reports
Travel and/or Driving Requirements
- Travel and Driving is an essential duty and function of this job
- Travel up to 25%
Education Level: (Required): Bachelor's Degree or equivalent experience
Field of Study/Area of Experience: Sales and Marketing
- 5-7 years' work experience in sales, consumer packaged goods, and/or food brokerage organization or equivalent
- 3-5 years successfully managing a P&L, budgeting and forecasting, and managing client expectations either personally or through a team
- 1-3 year's previous experience with managing direct reports
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
- Action-oriented and results-driven
- Ability to exude confidence with and gain trust of clients and internal business partners and staff; experience and comfort with executive/managerial level client interactions
- Skillfully and effectively engages, motivates, and leads others
- Effective presentation skills beneficial
- Strong people management skills; excels in accurately assessing talent pool and managing associate performance as appropriate to support current and future business needs
- Extensive understanding of the CPG industry
- Demonstrates comprehensive management skills necessary to deliver an EBITDA; effectively able to access situations/trends accurately, make challenging decisions, and implement timely
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills
- Comprehensive technical skills to include being proficient in Microsoft Office suites and MPC/Navision
- Working knowledge of syndicated data
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and competing priorities and deadlines while maintaining a high level of professionalism and poise vis ? vis colleagues, team members, staff, clients, and customers