Sales Manager - Building Automation Systems
5 - 7 years experience • Professional, Scientific & Technical Services
What you will do
This position leads the Federal Sales Team to execute sales strategies that achieve profitability, growth, and federal market penetration. Develops and directs the sales force in selling a portfolio of building technology and service offerings to U.S Federal Government public works leaders and tenant agencies at the Director, Colonel, Lt Colonel, and Commander level. Develops and delivers the secured sales and margin plan for all Lines of Business for an assigned geography. Responsible for hiring, coaching, & developing sales people consistent with Sales Management Disciplines and coordinates closely with Johnson Controls local office sales resources to optimize account coverage. Sets the standard for professionalism within the sales team, building and maintaining a high-performance team able to grow market share through a commitment to customer satisfaction, quality and an understanding of the business environment and the federal market. Represents Johnson Controls Federal Systems as an industry leader for customers, employees and within the local communities that we serve.
Location: San Diego, CA preferred. May be open to remote / virtual (work from home) with the ability to travel approximately 40%, primarily within the region.
Benefits: Eligible for benefits on first day of employment
How you will do it
1. Deliver planned business results of the Johnson Controls Federal Systems (JCFS) business through both directly managed and indirect sales resources. Assists in the development and execution of the federal market strategic initiatives and annual sales plans. Maintains a CRM opportunity pipeline sufficient to meet business plan. Creates and consistently achieves accurate monthly and quarterly sales forecasts and other relevant leading & lagging business metrics.
2. Understands the business environment of federal markets including competition, procurement and decision criteria. Responsible for the identification of evolving federal civilian agency and DoD Service trends with a real-time adaptation of value propositions using the worldwide IDIQ contracting vehicles, agency-specific funding programs, and/or small-business partnerships.
3. Educates the broader Johnson Controls community on federal market trends, JCFS expertise and IDIQ market accessibility through the use of contracting workshops with JCI Area/Branch teams and/or Federal-specific sales training calls.
4. Executes the sales staffing plan for an assigned geography. Prepares and delivers clear performance expectations, performance reviews and development plans for direct reports. Ensures a consistent level of coaching to both direct and indirect sales resources, which includes: monthly ‘one-on-one(s)’, observed and unobserved calls, opportunity reviews, and financial reviews. Performs performance management of direct sales personnel.
5. Actively coaches and develops sales team in strategic account management disciplines. Ensures the development and maintenance of detailed Account Plans that foster constructive multi-functional account teams consisting of federal sales, branch sales, domain sales, agency account managers, operations and subject matter expert resources. Formal adherence to proven account management toolsets including Strategic Account Reviews and detailed Relationship Maps.
6. Expands the sales team technical and consultative acumen in the depth and breadth of Johnson Controls offerings (HVAC, building automation, electronic security, fire alarm and suppression, distributed energy storage) to create tailored and comprehensive solutions.
7. Provide oversight and support during opportunity development activities (e.g. gate reviews, collaborative deal strategy sessions) to help sales reps advance opportunities that stalled in the sales process and to create competitively-differentiated, high quality and compliant technical and pricing proposals.
8. Identifies barriers that may limit the sales team’s productivity and face time with customers. Provides leadership and communication skills to influence internal stakeholders to create organizational and process improvements.
9. Evaluates Johnson Controls account performance and maintains actionable customer loyalty metrics using CPARS, surveys and other feedback paths. Provides leadership for performance enhancement and proactive resolution of issues and allocates resources as needed to ensure customer expectations are met.
10. Highlights industry leadership through the use of targeted marketing efforts, customer-involved panel participation, case studies, journal articles and active participation in professional organizations (e.g. local Society of American Military Engineers chapters).
11. Establishes and maintains long-term relationships with strategically important Customers to influence opportunities. Coordinates closely with JCFS Agency Account Managers to ensure account alignment from installation to command.
12. Acts as an overall business thought leader beyond the regional sales team. Leads or supports JCFS-wide strategic initiatives, process improvements, innovation advancement or toolset deployment. Becomes a selective subject matter expert on behalf of the entire organization, offering business-wide impact.
13. Takes action to understand the requirements of Mitigated Entity compliance associated with Foreign, Owned, Controlled or Influenced (FOCI) status of foreign domiciled parent. Deliver compliance actions personally or through team actions.
What we look for
1. Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Business, Marketing or a related discipline. MBA preferred.
2. Five (5) or more years of sales management experience.
3. Demonstrates a commitment to integrity and quality in business. Excellent initiative and interpersonal communications skills. Demonstrated ability to influence account decision makers at key levels.
4. U.S. Citizen with ability to acquire Department of Defense Security Clearances required.
5. Proficiency with MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Project required.
6. Ability to travel within the region approximately 40% required (mostly regional travel)
7. Virtual sales organization requires a self-starter with strong leadership skills that can build and maintain an engaging and accountable environment.
1. Three (3) or more years sales experience focused on building technology or services
2. Demonstrated subject matter expertise in energy management, HVAC systems, building automation, SCADA, microgrids, fire alarm & protection, and/or electronic security systems highly preferred.
3. Demonstrated understanding of U.S. Federal Government agency budgeting and contracting (acquisition) processes.