About the Role
A newly created position, the Sales Leader is responsible for the strategic leadership of this Michigan insurance agency’s sales team. The privately held organization has a strong, family-oriented culture with a focus on organic growth. They know mentoring new and seasoned producers requires time and unique resources with an experienced manager at the helm. They need you to be dedicated to building, growing and mentoring a sales team. This position requires someone who can model and teach sales behaviors (planning, cold calling, presentations and closing).
Duties & Responsibilities
- Coach and mentor a team of 10-15 producers, mostly commercial property and casualty
- Rebuild the sales engine with a focus on new account development and production accountability
- Monitor performance metrics
- Ensure an effective recruiting, hiring and training process
- Create a team-based culture
- Help with co-selling, sales presentations and closing new business
- Engage with agency service department leaders to create strong working relationships between service team and sales to ensure positive customer outcomes
- Embed yourself in the local business community and be a visible leadership presence on a day in, day out basis with the sales and service team
Skills & Experience
- At least 10-15 years of insurance industry experience with demonstrated success in sales management.
- Technically proficient in commercial insurance middle market and risk management business as well as the cross-selling platforms and team-based approaches to sales
The goal of this position is simple- Organic, new account revenue growth is the central focus. The type of person who can accomplish this and shares similarities with the agency’s culture can:
- Work with a diverse sales team- different experience levels, personalities and sales styles.
- Has a proven sales methodology but can be adaptable.
- Walk alongside their team during each step of the process. You know how to build sales plans and create pipeline activity. You seek out resources for producers. You can help them refine their sales process or work more confidently in vertical, niche business.
- Create a culture where producers, new and seasoned, are excited about winning.
- Support the executive team’s long-term goals for growth by discipline and geographic expansion.
- Create incentive plans and reward based on cross selling execution.
- Serve as a thought leader on overall business development, marketing and client service strategies.
- Strike a balance between holding salespeople accountable for activity & performance but not sacrificing a commitment to writing good business the right way.
$180k to $225k target compensation plan (combination of salary and variable comp based on individual sales and team performance)