The Sales Director/Team Lead will manage a high performing sales team (cross functional in nature) focused against delivering results by profitably growing business at Walmart, in Bentonville, AR. This responsibility entails managing a portfolio of products within our Personal Care business.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop sales strategies, programs and plans for existing and potential new business with Walmart. Develop annual quota, profit plan and sales action plan and monitor actual results vs. plan throughout the year, making adjustments when appropriate. Create business reviews of accounts and present them as appropriate to management.
- Staff, organize and direct the Walmart Personal Care Sales organization. Responsibilities include selecting new staff, developing existing staff, establishing performance standards for and evaluating performance of staff and recommending personnel actions (promotion, terminations, salary actions, etc.). Assist managers in selecting, managing and evaluating brokers where applicable.
- Assist marketing and sales management with development of marketing strategies and advertising plans as appropriate. Recommend opportunities for increased penetration, based on knowledge of customers and territory.
- Establish appropriate account contacts and maintain an effective and appropriate call program. Handle inquiries, complaints and service programs working through appropriate functions and acting as liaison with promotions, special programs, new products and other relevant activities to customers and to brokers.
- Attend customer meetings and trade conferences as appropriate.
- Coordinate activities of National Accounts with Field Sales Managers in other regions and with sales upper management. Maintain current knowledge of market conditions and trends, through own field research and sharing of information with Walmart sales force.
- Responsible for forecasting and overall coordination with retail brokers.
- Develop recommendations for capital, operating and staffing budgets. Collaborate with other directors in the development of a coordinated budget for Vice President approval. Provide fiscal oversight of allocated resources, assets and expenses. Make necessary decisions to adjust for variations in projected budget income caused by fluctuating volumes and other external factors.
- Lead employees through effective hiring, orientating, training, mentoring and coaching. Provide ongoing recognition, feedback and development, holding employees accountable for success. Identify and mentor future organizational leaders. Ensure appropriate resources are provided to employees. Develop a staffing plan that meets both customer expectations and financial constraints. Create an environment where employee feedback facilitates positive change.
- Provide leadership to direct reports in the establishment of area plans, short/long term goals. Design functional area infrastructure and changes to supporting processes and systems. Develop solutions to functional-area challenges. Set, implement and complete functional area goals.
Education and Experience Profile
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing or related field.
- Specific knowledge and relationships of how to sell to/penetrate, typically gained through over 10 years direct sales/field experience.
- Direct selling experience with Big Box Retail required.
- Accountable for sales volume compared to quota, profit compared to budget.
- Must meet volume growth/market penetration objectives (i.e. MBO’s).
- Acquire new business and develop business in existing Spectrum Brands accounts at corporate level.
- Must be proficient in Retail Link.
- Strong analytical skills to allow for fact based selling.
- Strong communication both verbal and non-verbal as well as negotiating skills.
- Organization and prioritization skills.
- Effective time management, detail and accuracy.
- Goal-oriented individual who can focus on obtaining objectives.
- Ability to think strategically and make sound business decisions.
- High level of integrity.
- High level of technical aptitude.