The sales director is a quota-carrying position and reports directly to the AVP of Teradata Commercial Accounts. Sales Directors are accountable for continuous account planning that drives short-term and long-term growth, new customer footprints/applications, sales funnel management, accurate forecasting, budget/expense control, field relationships with Partners to expand our coverage of territories and/or solution portfolio, and for working with Professional Services management to build a sustainable consulting stream.
Area of Focus
- Sales Leadership: The ability to motivate and empower a sales team to achieve a common goal. This includes providing a shared vision, modeling the way, and challenging the status quo to champion new initiatives. This competency involves providing clear direction, championing change, influencing others, and creating an environment that fosters professional and personal success. Focus is on driving new customer footprints through solution-lead sales, developing local relationships with Partners to expand our coverage of territories and/or solution portfolio and building a sustainable Professional Services Consulting stream.
- Sales Coaching and Development: The ability to individually coach, mentor and develop sales associates to enhance their performance. This includes coaching both sales skills and selling strategy. This also includes evaluating performance and providing individual mentoring and development plans. This involves providing strong leadership in sales engagements, ensuring Account Executives are accountable for establishing winning sales strategies, shared expectations with key decision makers and executing sales engagements.
- Managing Sales and Business Results: The ability to effectively manage order/revenue generation and business profitability while meeting strategic business objectives. This includes territory design, demand creation, funnel management, forecasting, resource planning, asset management, pricing decisions and expense control. This also includes an understanding of the meaning and implications of key financial levers that impact overall business performance. This includes the following but is not limited to the following:
o Set, direct, and execute winning sales strategies
o Drive execution of Demand Creation that lead to new revenue streams
o Assign territories and accounts to sales representatives
o Manage the sales funnel and the line of sight
o Accurately forecast business results/outlook
o Manage budget and expense control
- Leads the Sales organization consisting of Account Executives and supporting organizations in Solution Engineering, Consulting Services, Business Consulting, Advanced Analytics and Cloud/On Premise solutions.
- Develops and builds the Sales business plan for the region providing focus in the development of capabilities, including recruiting, investment decisions, pricing, and coaching others in professional development.
- Develops strategies and offerings that are relevant to Teradata accounts
- Develops long-term strategic relationships with key customers, industry partners, and external organizations.
- Facilitates a work environment that enables the recruitment, development and retention of top talent as a means to drive revenue growth and increased profitability.
- This position is located in our San Diego Headquarters. A combination of independent work and team collaboration will be required. Travel is required.
- Routinely interface with Sales and Consulting Services Leadership Team (e.g., Consulting Services Managing Partners, Business Consultants, Solution Center Director/Consultants, Pricing and Americas Executives).
- Partner with Human Resources, Learning, Marketing/Communications, and Finance & Accounting Managers/Consultants.
- Ability to work in and lead in a teaming environment is essential.
- Strong interpersonal relationship skills are required to gain common ground with accounts fellow team members, and partners.
- Ability to coordinate all necessary internal resources is critical.
- Must be results oriented and a "self-starter".
- Must be able to travel to and meet with accounts within the entire region.
- Requires a sense of urgency, attention to detail and commitment to excellence.
- Creative thinking "outside the box" and a "can do" attitude is necessary.
Skills & Attributes
- A successful candidate should be a strategic thinker, self-starter who is creative and driven. The candidate must possess the ability to lead, advise and advocate for prospects. The desired candidate should be innovative and skilled at seizing opportunities and transforming strategy into results.
- Basic Qualifications
- BS, MBA, or MS in business, technical or professional discipline.
- Highly seasoned professional with significant experience leading multi-functional teams.
- Demonstrated success in managing large account relationships and developing new opportunities.
- Demonstrated success in sales management
- Strong executive presence and ability to positively present themselves and the Teradata Value Proposition to customers and prospects.
- Strong communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to travel to meet customer requirements.
- Recognized success with Financial Services, Retail and/or Health Care Industry. This success pertains to one's demonstrated ability to understand the current business problems that face customers in the industry, staying on top of industry trends, predicting/forecasting business problems, and being able to articulate how Teradata solutions can help the customer.
- Hands-on management experience in a number of disciplines such as software development, information technology and systems development, marketing and sales, operations, financial management, with proven ability to integrate plans.
- Previous experience selling Data and Analytics solutions.