The Sales and Business Development Manager is accountable for results in a dynamic and fast-paced environment to drive revenue for assigned business segments. Business segments include Laboratory Services, Drug Product Manufacturing, and Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs). The Sales and Business Development Manager has a scientific background including laboratory or pharmaceutical manufacturing experience with a proven track record of related sales experience. The Sales and Business Development Manager is a highly inquisitive and motivated, self-starter with a tenacious drive and ability generate new business prospects, with equal capability to maintain and grow strategic customer relationships. The Sales and Business Development Manager uses his or her technical knowledge and experience to drive leads and grow accounts for Laboratory Services, Drug Product Manufacturing, and Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs) business segments. This position is field based and requires up to 50 percent travel. The position requires superior leadership behaviors of the Alcami core competencies and non-negotiables, as well as expertise in the functional competencies included in this position profile.
- Plans and implements strategy for assigned territories and business segments where cultivating relationships, identifying opportunities and account management skills are critical.
- Researches, identifies and develops new business prospects, including key accounts, from multiple sources including outbound leads from cold calling and email campaigns and inbound leads from the company web-site.
- Represents Alcami by attending trade shows and conferences and maintaining active membership and participation in industry member groups and events.
- Owns lead generation for Drug Product Manufacturing, Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs) and other services through the full sales process from prospect identification to close of business. Includes lead generation, follow-up on proposal terms and conditions and negotiations.
- Knowledgeable and collaborates closely with the Inside Sales and Business Development team to generate leads and grow new business for Laboratory Services as well.
- Serves as a subject-matter-expert for Inside Sales team members for Drug Product Manufacturing, Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients (APIs), and collaborates providing coaching and mentoring as needed.
- Owns the customer relationship for assigned services; maintains and drives continuous improvement and communicates customer needs internally. Collaborates internally and externally to facilitate the development of profitable business and sustainable relationships.
- Drives year on year generation of new business from existing and new accounts.
- Maintains accurate customer data and updates to the Customer Relationship Management system (Sales Force). Generates timely reports (i.e. activity reports, metrics, sales targets or forecasts) as requested.
- Assists in gathering market intelligence by reporting noteworthy information regarding customers, competitors and the marketplace. Monitors and reports on market and competitor activities and provides relevant reports and information.
- Collaborates with Marketing to craft marketing campaigns and analyze inbound marketing data/trends to drive new business.
- Ensures timely completion and compliance with cGMP and all other relevant company training requirements.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (Chemistry, Microbiology, Life Sciences, Chemical Engineering) required.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in CDMO sales and business development, project management, contract management, or pharmaceutical or CDMO laboratory experiencerequired. 5+ years of experiencepreferred.
- Prior pharmaceutical or CDMO laboratory services work experiencepreferred.
- Prior external sales, account management or business development experiencepreferred.
- Consistently demonstrates honesty and integrity through personal example.
- Follows all safety policies and leads by example a safety first culture.
- Produces high quality work product with a focus on first time right.
- Complies with the company code of conduct and policies and regulatory standards.
Alcami Core Leadership Competencies
- Thinks strategically. Quickly identifies and acts on opportunities. Considers the downstream impact. Seeks to understand the why. Focuses on work that matters.
- Develops organization and others. Takes ownership to develop self and others. Seeks out new opportunities and experiences for continuous learning.
- Acts decisively. Makes and acts on decisions quickly. Makes decisions with the customer and their patients in mind. Meets commitments with a sense of urgency. Seeks ways to be more efficient.
- Drives performance. Holds self and others accountable. Delivers results first time right. Never settles for status quo. Willing to have tough conversations. Asks for feedback and takes action to improve.
- Passion for customers. Listens to understand. Asks the right questions. Gets to the heart of the matter and uses that insight to provide value.
- Works collaboratively. Seeks out the experience of others with the aim for better results. Open minded regardless where ideas originate. Flexible and easy to work with.
- Knowledge of cGMP and drug development process through course work or prior work experiencerequired.
- Prior pharmaceutical or CDMO experience in technical functions of development or manufacturing preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and presentation skills required.
- Excellent project management, organization skills and ability to multi-task required.
- Excellent problem solving and critical thinking skills required.
- Results orientation, determined and a self-starter; comfortable, willing and able to make cold calls.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced and dynamic environment.
- Ability to build and grow strong customer relationships, and ability to influence others.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required.
- Proficiency utilizing internet and social media tools for researching potential leads.
- Technologyorientation with the ability to gain proficiency using a Customer Relationship Management system (CRM) required. Prior experience with a Customer Relationship Management system (CRM), preferably Salesforce, preferred.
- Prior experience or exposure to value-based selling and negotiations a plus.
- Typically up to 50% travelrequired.