- Develop corporate health and safety programs, guidelines and policies (including industrial hygiene, risk assessment, ergonomics, workers’ compensation and occupational health) and support leaders in the implementation of health and safety programs.
- Collaborate with business leadership, manufacturing, human resources, and other leaders to develop or enhance process requirements, workflow, action plans, training material, etc. for health and safety activities including risk assessment, corrective/preventive actions, reports, incident management and legal requirements.
- Support injury and illness-reduction and safety culture improvement efforts, including proactive safety programs, employee engagement and empowerment, and risk awareness.
- Develop and deliver periodic performance reports, based on both leading and lagging key performance indicator metrics. Provide analysis of trends and other data to each business unit – also suggest counter measures based on the data.
- Participate in health and safety strategic planning and lead execution of elements of the health and safety strategic plan.
- Identify best practices, generate and analyze data, and lead continuous improvement initiatives to reduce work process risks and raise safety awareness to create a culture of safety.
- Perform safety audits of systems, procedures, programs and practices to ensure effectiveness and continued compliance. This includes inspecting facilities, machinery, safety equipment and safe work behaviors to identify and correct potential hazards and ensure health and safety regulation compliance.
- Stay abreast of new federal and state safety and health regulations and proactively updates policies, procedures and the safety manuals to ensure the company is in compliance. This includes interfacing with OSHA and other regulatory agencies to ensure record keeping and other reporting requirements are met.
- Demonstrated advocate for safety excellence
- Leadership skills that inspire others to desire and achieve safety excellence
- Solid understanding of applying health and safety regulations/standards in manufacturing environments (environmental and global experience a plus)
- Experience coaching and leading through influence
- Experience building strong partnerships with employees and developing a safety culture that is integrated throughout all levels of the organization
- Strong teamwork skills across a team operating globally
- Strong verbal and written communication, interpersonal and organization skills
- Ability to measure and communicate the business value of safety
- Effective educator and strong ability to interact with all levels of the organization
- Working knowledge of Lean and continuous improvement concepts
- Well-versed with programs such as PowerPoint, Excel, Microsoft Word.
- Demonstrated ability to work directly with all levels of the organization, quickly establish credibility as trusted partner
- Ability to deal with ambiguity, change in a dynamic business environment as well as building collaborative relationships to achieve results
- Willingness to travel up to 50% to plant locations
Bachelor’s degree in industrial safety, occupational health & safety, industrial hygiene, environmental sciences, environmental engineering or job-related area. (Master’s degree preferred.)
At least 5 years progressively responsible experience with health and safety program management within a manufacturing environment (global experience a plus).