Portfolio Business: CP Kelco
CP Kelco is a leading producer of specialty ingredients which are added to improve texture, consistency, and stability in food, pharmaceutical and industrial products. Our products are derived from renewable raw materials found in nature for use in jam, fruit and milk drinks, confectionery products as well as industrial applications. We work across the whole value chain from natural raw materials to customers’ end products. CP Kelco is part of the JM Huber Corporation, one of the largest privately held, family owned companies in the United States. With approximately $2.3 billion in sales and 4,000 employees worldwide, we have a combined material presence in more than 20 countries.
We are proud producers of pectin, gellan gum and many other nature-based ingredients. You’ll find our ingredients in food, beverage, personal care, household care and even industrial applications. The Safety Manager is a hands-on individual who provides safety leadership and direction to the Okmulgee facility by leading the plant’s continuous improvement efforts in the area of Health and Safety. This role will create value for the organization by ensuring that risk is identified and mitigated and strategies are consistent with company Health and Safety vision and strategies. You will be instrumental in driving safety excellence and performance improvement through culture change, coaching and development of facility leadership. You will also focus on ensuring that the Okmulgee plant meets and exceeds all federal and state safety standards & regulations and requirements set forth by management.
What you will be working on
- You will manage the development and implementation/measuring of Safety and Health practices and projects at the plant. Areas include OSHA regulations, industrial hygiene, process safety management, risk management, emergency response and the Voluntary Protection Program.
- Serves as the plants resource for workers compensation issues.
- Develop safety and informational programs for all levels of management and hourly employees. This includes keeping appropriate manuals, procedures and training aids up to date. Prepare, coordinate and present safety training as required
- Maintains regulatory compliance and continued quality in the safety process system.
- Resource to the facility in areas of safety management systems and various plant committees including; ESH Committee, ESH Audit teams, Ergonomic team, Shift Safety Team Leaders and the Behavioral Based Safety Process
- Ensures suitable methods are in place for contractors and workers to meet their line responsibilities.
- Handles safety inspections. Reviews registration and documents for regulatory and facility safety compliance.
- Audits areas of performance in safety
- Mentors employees, supervisors, managers, or other safety and occupational health personnel in safety or occupational health subjects.
- Works with other managers in the plant to ensure appropriate ESH programs and procedures are in place. • Interface with regulatory bodies (OSHA, FEMA, State/Local Regulators). Responds and provides assistance to all emergency situations.
- Plant’s resource for regulatory inspections with city, state and federal agencies. • Lead incident investigation process, including root cause analysis and identification of corrective action plans for all injuries, accidents and near hits and recommends remedial action for all serious accidents or illnesses.
- Analysis of processes, procedures, equipment, engineering guidelines and standards review, contractor safety and all major engineering activities/projects. This includes coordinating and/or participating in process hazard analysis utilizing suitable methods such as HAZOP, What-If, 5-Why or other systems safety techniques.
- Achieve annual targets for incident frequency, severity and related cost reductions.
- Designs and provides training for all levels of employees.
- Chairs the site safety Committee and provides oversight to the plant safety teams by providing direction for this group through coordination with appropriate departmental/site management
- Monitors all current information on regulations and requirements related to hazardous materials and agents.
- Prepare and distribute pertinent safety communications including statistics, newsletters and special alerts.
- Additional duties as needed
Who you are
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Science safety, industrial hygiene, engineering and 7 + years Health and Safety experience in an industrial, manufacturing, or chemical process environment with 3-5 years of experience managing large teams
- You have achieved a Professional certification as a Certified Safety Professional or a Certified Industrial Hygienist strongly preferred.
- Perhaps people see you as a visionary who can implement new and novel safety programs and practices
- You are a natural born leader, and have previous experience influencing teams and a track record of changing safety behaviors
To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the following technical skills:
- Demonstrated knowledge of federal, state, and local occupational environmental, safety and health laws and regulations as they apply to industrial organizations.
- Strong and effective interpersonal, communication and presentation skills.
- Ability to effectively interact with all levels of organizational personnel.
- Ability to plan, prioritize, and execute effectively.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously under various deadlines.
- Strong presentation skills using Microsoft Office Suite.
- Must be able to work flexible shifts.
- Knowledge of workers compensation administration
- Knowledge and ability in utilizing MS Office applications and Internet required.
- Must be capable of using proactive interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with all levels of employees within Eaton, as well as outside consultants/contractors.
- Must be able to effectively present information in a group setting.
- Must be able to influence and motivate employees, enforce company safety policies and procedures, and recommend corrective actions
- Must possess problem-solving skills to arrive at practical solutions for a variety of safety and health issues, in compliance with company goals and objectives.
- Must be able to work independently as well as in a collaborative team setting. • Must be available to respond to any emergency situations related to building safety.
- Must be detail oriented, with the ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously and have a high level of organization.
- Analytical – Must be able to drive to root cause corrections
- Hours and days are primarily Monday through Friday with some evenings and weekends.
- Will have company cellular phone and be on call for safety emergencies.
- Must be fluent in English.
What We Offer
- Prior environmental, health and safety experience in a Manufacturing/Distribution setting
- Prior experience in developing and implementing safety programs and effective training curriculum.
- Certified Safety Manager Certification.