5 - 7 years experience • Government & Non-Profit
The Safety Manager is responsible for all Goodwill Education Initiatives sites and involved in five elements of safety, to include all other standards set forth by Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA). The position will have a direct key role and overall responsibility for managing the safety incident program, safety training, emergency response, safety auditing/inspections and providing data analysis of trends and findings. This role demonstrates behaviors consistent with our Mission, Vision and Values, on behalf of Goodwill of Central & Southern Indiana.
- Create safety policies and procedures in compliance with local, state, and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) rules and regulations.
- Prepare studies and analyze workplace accident causes and hazards to health for use by company personnel and outside agencies.
- Analyze claims and work withinternal and external stakeholders to resolve and close claim in a timely fashion.
- Inspect organization facilities to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards, determines corrective or preventive measures where indicated and follows up to ensure measures have been implemented successfully.
- Prepare studies and analysis of industry accident causes and hazards to health for use by company personnel and outside agencies.
- Work with leadership to develop and sustain effective safety committees that demonstrates management commitment and employee involvement.
- Lead the investigation of accidents and injuries and cooperates in the preparation of material and evidence for organizational use in hearings, lawsuits, and insurance company investigations and inquiries.
- Compile and submit accident reports required by regulatory agencies, insurance companies, etc.
- Perform the day to day administration of Goodwill’s workers compensation program, including working with the insurance carrier on claimsinvestigations, return to work programs, hazard assessment and communications, and similar issues.
- Determine financial impact of risk on company by analyzing and classifying risks as to frequency and potential severity.
- Comply with federal, state, and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislation; anticipating future legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements; advising management on needed actions.
- Minimize losses by reducing chance of loss; reducing frequency and severity of loss; utilizing self-insurance and planned non-insurance; increasing predictability of loss; placing property, activity, or risk with other establishments or insurers.
- Identify training and development needs by analyzing organization results, job requirements, operational problems, plans and forecasts, and current training programs.
- Maintain safety files and records, and trains managers and others on proper file maintenance.
- Inspect organization facilities to detect existing or potential accident and health hazards, determines corrective or preventive measure where indicated, and follows up to ensure measures have been implemented.
- Administrator of workers’ compensation program, including working with the insurance carrier to reduce employee lost time.
- Assist leaders to develop comprehensive emergency response protocols and drills.
- Perform internal safety audits & inspections.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Public Safety Management (SPEA), Business or similar degreepreferred
- 5 years of safety management experience
- OSHA 30 Hour, Preferred OSHA 501 Instructor
- CPR/AED, First Aid Instructor or in the process of obtaining
- Knowledge of DOE, School Safety Programs
- Ability to collect data, establish and analyze facts to draw valid conclusions without bias. Provide and implement solutions to various levels of leadership
- Advanced knowledge of of Incident/Auditing software & MS Office Products: Outlook, Excel, and Word with expert abilities using Excel
- Proven ability to work independently and autonomously as a decision maker
- Maturity to address and handle confrontational situations and respond quickly to claims & incident needs
- Previous ergonomic and job hazard analysis experience
- Experience building rapport and maintaining confidential information while working as a team player
- Ability to communicate across departmental lines with various levels of workforces both verbally and written
- Physical requirements include lifts up to 20 lbs. and stoop, lift, reach, climb, bend, and stand for extended periods of time
- Valid driver license as travel to various locations is required
- Policy & Procedure Development
- Experienced Auditor and Inspector
Full-time employees may participate in a comprehensive benefits program that includes:
- Continuing education and leadership development
- Comprehensive health plan
- Paid time off (PTO)
- Life, dental and vision insurance
- Short- and long-term disability plans
- Nationally recognized preventive health and wellness program
- Retirement plan with generous match
- Section 125 pretax health spending account, dependent care spending account and premiums.