- Manages the day to day activities of the Safety Coordinator.
- Oversees regulatory compliance, compliance with all Covanta safety program requirements, accident investigation and documentation, OSHA VPP efforts, and safety training.
- Monitors the performance and effectiveness of the plant's health and safety program in the field and makes program adjustments as necessary to meet performance and improvement objectives.
- Participates with representatives of OSHA, the local Fire Department and the corporate safety department during formal inspections of plant safety, and issues a report to the monitoring agency to formally document corrective actions taken.
- Primary contact with the plant's health clinic. Schedules annual employee physicals.
- Trains, counsels, and advises personnel on all safety issues through management safety bulletins, memos, e-mails and meetings to establish a proactive approach to providing a safe working environment.
- Conducts plant inspections for unsafe conditions and hazards, unsafe acts and equipment. Conducts investigations into all near miss accidents, medical incidents and OSHA recordable accidents, and makes recommendations for corrective action.
- Works with staff and contractors to assure fire system functionality
- Works with other departments and management staff to incorporate safe work practices and policies within the facility.
- Assist with Field Environmental, Health and Safety audits and inspections. Assist in developing corrective actions based upon findings.
- Spend substantial amount of time in field working with employees and contractors to reinforce and improve good Health & Safety work practices.
- Work with Safety Committee to improve site Health & Safety processes and encourage employee participation in those processes.
- Facilitate safety incident investigations and Root Cause Analyses (RCAs).
- Maintain site Safety files to ensure compliance with government requirements and company initiatives.
- Analyze work and plant conditions at the facility and advise and recommend changes to support policies and/or regulations, which include ergonomics, JSAs, and the implementation of new programs. Maintain overall safety program document management per procedures, accident reporting and control, VPP related, GHS, training records, equipment inventories, OSHA 300.
- Plant meetings/postings: This includes providing a safety perspective at daily, weekly, and monthly strategic plant meetings as well as at safety committee meeting. Must be prepared to discuss the plant work and respond to planning and budgeting meetings. This includes the implementation of safety action items to resolution and tailgating sessions, plant letters, postings, one on one safety reviews, etc.
- Safety training: Prepare and present training to plant employees on all safety programs, guidelines, and requirements at every opportunity. This includes during outage planning and contractor pre-site preparation. Annual environmental training: Prepare and present training to plant employees on environmental programs and requiremnts
- Maintain and use monitoring equipment and facility safety inspections including noise surveys, industrial hygiene, IH sampling and respiratory testing.
- Accident investigating and reporting: Conduct accident investigations, SafeStat/Process Map reporting, corrective actions, near miss evaluations.
- Outage Safety. Includes contractor safety, scaffold inspections, outage preparation and safety management during outage. This may require some budget preparation and planning.
- To be considered for this position you must have a Bachelor's Degree (ideally in a safety and health, engineering or science-related area) coupled with a minimum of 5 years Health & Safety experience.
- Operations and Maintenance field experience (preferably in waste-to-energy or power plant facilities).
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and proficiency in MS Office Suite are required.
- The ability to manage and prioritize multiple projects/programs simultaneously and work well with all levels of the organization are also essential.
- Individual must feel comfortable with public speaking, as he or she will be responsible for providing effective health and safety training.
- Bilingual preferred but not required.
- Must be able to pass respirator fit testing on a daily basis.