The Health and Safety Manager directs the development, implementation and maintenance of comprehensive
H&S management systems for the facility. The position provides leadership, mentoring and technical expertise necessary to create site capability to achieve corporate goals for H&S performance and ensure compliance with all applicable policies and regulations.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides leadership, guidance and mentoring to the site necessary to create a proactive culture of risk management and capability to identify and manage H&S risks to prevent incidents;
- Develops, implements and manages systems and programs to ensure site is in compliance with applicable regulations and requirements, and company policies and procedures;
- Provides training and mentoring to site supervisors, managers and management personnel to lead proactive safety efforts in their area of responsibility;
- Provide training, mentoring and direct assistance to site management personnel to build site capability to thoroughly analyze incidents for root causes and contributing factors, also providing quality assurance and oversight to draft incident and root cause analysis reports prior to submission to corporate management;
- Be the technical expert and have understanding of all relevant H&S issues as necessary;
- Be the technical expert and provide compliance specifications/recommendations to Engineering & Maintenance Resources on the following areas, including, but not limited to:
- Ensures accurate and timely H&S recordkeeping and document management including the submission of periodic reports to regulatory agencies;
- Prepare, maintain, and as appropriate, submit all records and reports required by the Company and regulatory agencies including the OSHA 300 log and injury records;
- Lead and/or assist emergency planning, preparedness and response activities;
- Leads the development, review, and implementation of site emergency programs (e.g., facilitate site level drills);
- Interface with regulatory and public sector H&S authorities as appropriate;
- Reviews actual and proposed uses of chemicals for H&S implications, including regulatory applicability and worker safety, ensures compliance with their use and manages Safety Data Sheet (SDS) availability for those chemicals;
- Manages the facility Process Safety Management (PSM) program for ammonia refrigeration as appropriate;
- Participate in H&S audits, Process Hazard Analyses (PHAs) and other elements of the PSM program integral to site H&S performance;
- Must be knowledgeable of H&S regulations including but not limited to: OSHA
- Should possess strong leadership, training, problem solving, and decision making skills
- Should have strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated organizational, communication, research and analytical skills.
- Experience and/or familiarity with OHSAS 18001
- Sufficient computer literacy to include MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint and use of plant specific software systems.
- Ability to prioritize effectively
- Experience managing a Process Safety Management (PSM) Program
- Holds or is working toward appropriate professional designation
- Five years' experience in the environmental, health, & safety field.
- Experience managing a budget that varies by size of site and/or site location(s)
- Food and beverage industry experiencepreferred
- A Bachelor's degree in Safety Management, Environmental or Occupational Health and Safety, Engineering, Chemistry, or other related degree is required
- There is a 15% travel requirement with this position