General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely piloted aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies.
General Atomics Electromagnetic Systems (GA-EMS) designs and manufactures first-of-a-kind electromagnetic and electric power generation systems. GA-EMS’ expanding portfolio of specialized products and integrated system solutions support critical fleet, space systems and satellites, missile defense, power and energy, and process and monitoring applications for defense, industrial, and commercial customers worldwide.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Systems Safety Engineer in our Laser & Advanced Sensors (LAS) Group. This position directly supports the Systems Integration and Test group managing system safety requirements, as well as managing safety requirements implementation, validation and verification of GA-EMS products.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform system safety engineering activities on High Energy Laser system and Advanced Sensors programs on airborne, sea and land platforms.
- In this role, the successful candidate will work on an integrated Reliability and Safety team to support both customer risk acceptance, and airworthiness requirements.
- Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Specific technical experience and knowledge should include ability to familiarize yourself with MIL-STD-882, operation and processes of System Safety Working Groups, and other related milestones such as PDR’s and CDR’s.
- Responsible for the creation, development, approval and implementation of System Safety artifacts (System Safety Program Plan, Preliminary Hazard Analysis, Functional Hazard Analysis, System Safety Analysis / Safety Assessment Report, system safety requirements).
- Understands the methods of identifying and categorizing Safety-Significant (safety-critical and safety-related) functions and their affects within the hardware, software, and human interfaces of the design architecture.
- Perform Fault Tree Analyses (Relex experience a plus).
- The ability to learn multiple platform subsystems to become an expert on how the systems work as a whole.
- Support Reliability & Maintainability analyses as required.
- Ensure accuracy of system safety requirements throughout hardware and software design and development process.
- Support the development of test plans and manage the integration, verification, validation and documentation of safety requirements through the system development cycle.
- Provide support for proposals/white papers, and interface with customers
- Ensures compliance, reporting, and safety standards are maintained
We recognize and appreciate the value and contributions of individuals with diverse backgrounds and experiences and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
- Typically requires a bachelors degree, mastersdegree or PhD in engineering or a related technical discipline from an accredited institution and progressive engineering experience as follows; twelve or more years of experience with a bachelors degree, ten or more years of experience with a mastersdegree, or seven or more years with a PhD. May substitute equivalent engineering experience in lieu of education.
- Must have a thorough understanding of engineering concepts, principles, codes, and theory; experience demonstrating a broad application of those concepts; and, expanding knowledge of principles, concepts, theory, and practices in related technical specialties.
- Must possess the ability to develop and communicate new concepts; apply them accurately throughout an evolving environment; organize, schedule, and coordinate work phases; and, determine the appropriate approach at the task level or, with assistance, at the project level to provide solutions to a range of complex problems.
- Must have strong communication, computer, documentation, presentation, and interpersonal skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team; able to perform complex tasks in one or more engineering areas; capable of representing the organization as a prime technical contact and, lead a team of moderately experienced professional employees on single component projects.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Security Clearance is required.
- A good understanding of System Engineering process and artifacts.
- Working knowledge/experience of High Energy Lasers and EO/IR sensors in Air, Sea, and Land environments is desired.
- Have a desire to work in a fast-paced testing environment.
- Must be able to work extended hours and travel as needed.
Job ID#: 17674BR