DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Coordinates with V.P. of Risk Management the hiring of high quality safety engineers to meet project safety needs. Ensure effective safety “On-Boarding” of new safety engineers/managers, superintendents and project managers. Create, maintain, and communicate applicable job descriptions to safety engineers and managers. Provide leadership and coaching to less experienced safety engineers through strategic work assignments and routine feedback.
- Management and monitoring of safety engineer’s job/location, schedules, time sheets, expense reports, PTO, and other special requests. Initiate and complete performance reviews for all safety engineers/managers as required within the time frame given by the Director of Recruiting. At a minimum, performance reviews and/or changes in pay are to be reviewed with the VP of Risk Management.
- Lead, participate, and/or organize important meetings and calls. Weekly team call, Operations meetings, Friday PM, CSI meetings as needed, monthly webex, OSELT, precon meetings, and kick off meetings. Coordinate with VP Risk Management to cover for each other as needed.
- Closely monitor OSHA and Clayco safety standards in order to be in compliance with them and other applicable Local, State, or Federal regulatory compliance requirements. Use various strategies to verify all standards are being met or exceeded with Clayco and CSI (e.g. auditing).
- Creates, organizes, coordinates, and conducts applicable safety education and training based on company requirements and needs (i.e. 10 & 30 hr OSHA, Monthly WebEx, Supervisory safety education). Work closely with VP of Risk Management to determine scheduling and facilitating of courses.
- Assists with the monitoring and tracking of all Clayco and CSI safety trends and issues across the company and job sites. A monthly review of the safety dashboard is one method to be used. Proactively works with VP of Risk Management to create and execute improvement plans to curtail negative injury trends with Clayco, subcontractors, and CSI.
- Works closely with the VP of Risk Management and administrative assistant to monitor and maintain a high level of quality for all written Clayco safety programs, procedures, and documents. Assists as needed in making programs, forms and other tools standardized and easily accessible for those who may need them (e.g. Clayco Safety Work Rules).
- Reviews and evaluates all near miss reports. Creates or requests the creation of corrective action plans as needed for near misses.
- Communicates to VP of Risk Management, Insurance Director, and key Operations people any Clayco/CSI injuries or serious events in a timely manner (8 hours or less) Via phone with brief “incident notification” email distributed to key safety people, project people and operations leadership.
- Initiates, coordinates, completes, and/or reviews all Safety Alerts. Communicates through email distribution and works closely with VP of Risk Management to send out company wide. Goal is to have these completed and distributed within 72 hours of the incident.
- Initiates, organizes, and in some cases leads RCA events. This activity may involve the VP of Risk Management. For most OSHA recordable incidents an RCA should be considered.
- Makes routine project site visits based on schedule and job site activities/needs. Conducts formal and informal documented safety inspections. Key inspection findings (good and bad) are shared with other members of the safety team and job as learning opportunities.
- Assists with case management of injured employees/workers in order to get them back to work.
- Works closely with VP of Risk Management to establish and accomplish key safety goals, objectives, and projects for the company (Clayco and CSI) and the safety team. Annual, quarterly, issue specific initiatives. Leads critical projects and initiatives holding others accountable for commitments as well.
- Actively leads and participates in safety recognition activities, celebrations, and events. Creates unique and meaningful ways to recognize people who perform as expected regarding safety.
- Completes and/or assists with Clayco safety information for job proposals, reviews site specific safety plans as needed, and initiates/ completes applicable safety award applications and other forms of company-wide business recognition.
- Routinely communicates (e.g. weekly) with the VP of Risk Management on issues including but not limited to: staffing and job locations of staff, job site specific issues, special needs, incident trends, general safety team morale based items (positives recognition, improvement needs), PTO, other expectations.
- Benchmarks with leaders and companies regarding safety. Determines if any best practices should be implemented and executes applicable and feasible best practices according to plan.
- OSHA Inspections (Clayco and CSI) – Actively involved in all aspects of any OSHA inspections, investigations, and/or findings. Works closely with the job site team in assisting them with the inspection process and developing a corrective action plan if needed. Communicates the inspection status to key personnel verbally and through email (e.g. start of inspection – why, where etc; conclusion – outcome, any citations). Participates in any required OSHA citations/case settlements.
- Actively completes other duties and assignments as requested by V.P. of Risk Management based on overall company and department needs.
- Strong management, leadership and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing.
- Successful candidate must be disciplined and well-organized with a strong bias towards timely, detailed performance against aggressive deadlines
- Ideal candidate must be a self-starting multi-tasker who can accomplish all assignments without need of close supervision
- B.S. in Safety and Health or equivalent
- At least five (5) years of safety experience or combination of education/multiple years experience in self perform building construction, with a superior knowledge of safety/environment principles and techniques.
- Candidate with OSHA 510 and 500 certifications preferred
- Computer skills with familiarity with Microsoft Office.
- Must be willing to travel up fifty (50) percent.