Southland Industries is an MEP building systems firm that provides innovative, yet practical engineering, construction, service, building automation, and energy solutions. For over 65 years, we have been optimizing each stage of the building lifecycle with our in-house expertise and improving how buildings are designed, built, and maintained. We are currently a 800+ million dollar company with ambitious growth plans.
If you’re someone with a true passion for our industry, we’re looking for you! At Southland, we seek people that don’t just follow a career path, but blaze their own. People who want to apply innovation to their problem solving and embrace the concept of full collaboration between disciplines work at Southland. We appreciate the spirit of integrity and entrepreneurialism with which our people act, and have learned that the more opportunity we allow our employees, the greater the results. Each part of our business is interconnected and requires input from others, which has led to the collaborative setting from which we thrive. Join our team and become a part of an organization that values work-life balance, community, and exceptional quality of work.
Position Description Summary:
The Safety Coordinator III assists the Division Leader in enforcing and regulating all safety procedures to ensure that Southland Industries meets all safety requirements in the field and all facilities by managing and coordinating all division safety activities.
Primary Duties, Responsibilities:
- Tours and inspects small or large, complex job sites to ensure compliance with company, state and federal Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) rules and regulations. Reports concerns to safety management. Ensures Enforcement of OSHA regulations and company safety policies.
- Documents safety inspections, citing dangerous areas/procedures and recommending corrective procedures. Provides recommendations for correcting non-compliance issues. Ensures cited issues are corrected within designated timeframe.
- Maintains all site required documentation related to safety issues, including accident reports, inspectionreports and training logs. Uses information to track trends and injury rates. Develops current and future loss control strategies and implements corrective actions to prevent similar incidents.
- Provides emergency response to employees as needed. Participates in and documents information for the investigation of accidents and injuries and submits data to regulatory agencies as required.
- Contributes to updating training materials and coordinates and facilitates employee training as necessary.
- Acting as a lead, guides less-experience safety roles as needed
- Exercises independent judgement with respect to disciplinary actions for safety violations and implementing procedures to correct similar future violations. Consults with manager on decisions that significantly impact the company.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety, Health or Environmental Applied Sciences or related discipline preferred.
- 7-10 years’ experience in related field, including employee training experience.
- Certifications in CPR and First Aid preferred.
- OSHA 10hr, OSHA 30hr, OSHA 40hr training preferred.
- OSHA 500, CHST or ASP certifications preferred.
- Excellent working knowledge of health and safety management systems; OSHA CFR 1926 standards or the state construction safety regulations.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent problem-solving skills.
- Excellent customer-service and organizational skills.
- Excellent project management skills.
- Excellent computer skills-experience with Microsoft Office suite and ability to access OSHA information via the internet.
- Thorough knowledge of safety operating processes and procedures.
- Ability to lead employees.