Position Summary: The Safety and Environmental Manager partners with the facility management team to provide a safe and healthy work environment. The manager anticipates, identifies and remediates unsafe conditions and potential hazards, while promoting a positive safety culture that meets company and industry safety standards.
Major responsibilities include:
- Providing expertise in the areas of safety, regulatory compliance, industrial hygiene, workers’ compensation, environmental protection, security, fire protection, ergonomics and community relations regarding emergency services organizations.
- Developing and implementing policies, programs, and procedures which optimize the health and safety of employees while ensuring compliance with all federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and safety standards.
- Analyzing data, crafting plans, and executing the strategic direction for continuous improvement of the facility safety and response plans
- Managing security, fire, and emergency response for the facility as well as environmental control efforts.
- Responsible for documentation, tracking and permitting associated with hazardous waste shipments
- Formulating, implementing, tracking internal and external packaging and labeling of finished products, raw materials and non-standard research materials as relates to safety and environmental issues.
- Participate as a key steering member of safety committee
- Conducting safety, health and environmental training for new employees, on-going respirator training to appropriate employees, and annual refresher training sessions for all employees.
- Minimum 3 to 5 years directing safety and environmental compliance in a manufacturing environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of leadership within the organization
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret technical information
- Bachelor’s degree in occupational health and safety, environmental engineering, environmental science, or related field
Proven Managerial Skills
- Leadership ability to direct and motivate people, and work well in a team environment
- Excellent written, oral and computer communication skills to convey information to employees, managers and contractors
- Professional designation/certification within the safety and environmental health field such as: Certified Safety Professional, Registered Environmental Manager, Certified Industrial Hygienist, Certified Safety & Health Official, Associate Safety Professional, or other related certifications.