Fort Lewis, WA
5 - 7 years
Posted 29 days ago
Directs, strengthens and grows American Red Cross programs and services to meet the needs of United States military members, veterans and their families in accordance with Red Cross policies and procedures. This is accomplished through managing volunteers and working with other Red Cross departments. Provides management oversight of all American Red Cross Service to the Armed Forces (SAF) services within their area of jurisdiction, developing long and short term program strategies and overseeing the implementation for programs/services in communities and on military installations.
1. Relationship Management: Builds strong relationships with military leadership, key organizations and community leaders. Cultivates relationships and partnerships with external constituents in the local community, including government organizations, corporate partners, civic organizations and other community charitable and nonprofit agencies with the purpose of furthering the mission of the Red Cross. Ensures a year-around public relations program to maintain public goodwill and strengthen financial and logistical support within the military community and command.
2. Volunteer Management: Manages a volunteer program to enable delivery of SAF programs and services. Provides supervision of both paid and volunteer staff. Helps ensure volunteer staff ratio reflects the diversity of the population being served.
3. Service Delivery Management: Provides management support to SAF programs, ensuring that SAF services are carried out in accordance with specified Red Cross policies and procedures, and according to their strategic plan within their assigned jurisdiction.
• Manages services to military treatment facilities and VA hospitals through rehabilitation programs, material assistance, and morale items and support.
• Ensures community outreach throughout jurisdiction, to include command meetings and education briefings/presentations/workshops.
• Manages support services to military members and their families to include family follow up and information and referrals; and other related services. Provides support for the emergency communications center with local information, as appropriate.
• Ensures military and veteran community is offered resiliency training.
• Meets organization metrics.
4. Financial and Reporting Management: Manages budget to ensure sufficient funds are available to support SAF programs and services. Monitors and reports on the outcomes and results of programs and services.
CONUS (United States and territories):
• Works in conjunction with the Division SAF Manager and the Regional SAF team to ensure programs and events are implemented consistently within their region.
• Works closely with Regional Volunteer Manager to develop and implement a strategic regional SAF volunteer program plan.
• Participates with Regional Executive in the strategic planning process to support the delivery, sustainment and growth of SAF services and programs within the region.
• Partners with the Regional communication team to support strong visibility for SAF in the community.
• May oversee International Services.
OCONUS (overseas military locations):
• Provides supervision of both paid and volunteer staff and management of all related human resource functions at multiple locations, including recruitment, training, utilization, evaluation and recognition in accordance with Red Cross policies and procedures; and ensures volunteer staff ratio reflects the diversity of the population being served.
• Manages financial and administrative functions in accordance with policies and procedures of American Red Cross.
• Manages the delivery of Preparedness, Health and Safety Services training, disaster preparedness and response, resiliency programs with Red Cross support to the Armed Forces Blood Services.
• Coordinates Red Cross support on multiple installations.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required.
Essential Functions/Physical Requirements:
Depending on work assignment, may require ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; or the ability to stand, walk and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of up to 20 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, arm, hand and finger dexterity, including ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read technical information. Overall mobility is essential. May include sitting for long periods of time, driving a vehicle and working under challenging conditions.
Work is performed indoors with some potential for exposure to safety and health hazards related to emergency services relief work. May travel and participate in meetings and conferences throughout chapter jurisdiction, state and Red Cross system. Because the Red Cross is a disaster response organization, staff may be asked to be on 24-hour call during period of major disaster.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in business or public administration, human resources management, community organization, social or health sciences, or related field is required; or related equivalent experience.
Experience: A minimum of 5 years related work experience in program management or related field is required. Experience with American Red Cross programs and services are desired.
Managerial Experience: A minimum of 3 years of successful supervisory experience is required.
Skills and Abilities: Requires strong computer skills. Public speaking skills and the ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing are required. Must have strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work well in an individual or team environment. The ability to balance multiple priorities is essential. Familiarity with military culture, regulations and protocol is strongly desired.
For Mobile positions:
• U.S. citizenship is required. Must be able to obtain a secret security clearance and a no-fee U.S. passport.
• Worldwide mobility is a condition of employment and an essential function of this position.
• Must accept work assignments anywhere in the world, including conflict areas, where the American Red Cross is providing services to members of the military and their families.
• Must meet strict medical and physical requirements, including immunizations required by the U.S. military.
• May be required to wear military uniforms, and live and work in harsh and stressful environment in conflict areas.
• Periodically accompanies the military on deployments.
Apply now! Joining our team will provide you with the opportunity to make a difference every day.
The American Red Cross is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, age, or any other characteristic protected by law.