The RPG Developer III plays an important role in the organization by performing a number of activities related to the company’s Information Technology functions. The role is primarily responsible, with limited direction, for the design, maintenance, and implementation of in-house applications created using Websmart, RPG (all levels) and CL/CLLE on an IBMi platform. The RPG Developer III also collaborates with business partners, business analysts, and peers to document business requirements, diagnose problems, and understand requested enhancements, translating findings into technical specifications.
- Work on large projects, collaborating with users, Business Analysts, and other IT teammates to develop technical specifications that capture the impact of proposed changes on all applications, systems, and databases.
- Create and use binding directories, binder source, prototypes, prototype interfaces, sub-procedures, stored procedures and service programs.
- Apply knowledge of data centric architecture, design, programming, and performance to update programs and resolve problems.
- Apply knowledge and help manage projects using project management, and change management software tools.
- Work with the Support Desk, Training and our business partners to troubleshoot and resolving application system errors.
- Identify and pursue new and evolving technologies; evaluate potential impact to the business and provide management with insight and recommendations.
- Demonstrate a high level of personal commitment and accountability to the business with a focus on quality and customer service.
- Work in a team environment, and communicate positively with team members, peers, customers, and vendors.
- Provide time tracking and project feedback data to the Project Management Office and management.
- Identify, lead, plan and implement department projects that involve process improvements for IT.
- Act as a subject matter expert to answer questions from less experienced teammates and business partners.
- Respond to escalated inquiries and problems that cannot be resolved by more junior teammates.
- Support new hire training, cross train, mentor and work closely with less experienced employees.
- Participate in the creation of training materials and job aids, as well as documentation for any new rollouts or updates.
- Work to distribute application knowledge throughout team by completing technical research and analysis and sharing findings and possible solutions with team.
- Review the output of junior-level teammates, and provide subsequent assessments and recommendations to management.
- Create templates and models to be used by all of the department for existing and new processes, modules, or coding techniques.
- Provide analysis and work on special initiatives and projects from the Management.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- High school degreepreferred, along with a minimum of five years total “hands-on” RPG programming and development experience working on multiple projects of high complexity, preferably in the financial services or mortgage servicing industries.
- Expert knowledge and fluency with:
- All aspects and versions of RPG and CL on the IBMi.
- Binding directories, binder source, prototypes, sub-procedures, appropriate activation group usage, and service programs
- DB2 native commands, security and access, SQL, SEQUEL, DDM, data centric architecture, design and performance tuning.
- Use of embedded SQL, stored procedures, web services, and API’s
- General knowledge of FTP, SFTP and XML.
- Highly detail-oriented and highly organized; as well as, strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks in a deadline-driven environment; strong sense of urgency and responsiveness.
- Ability to think critically, including the ability to evaluate facts and data to draw conclusions, determine the downstream impact of decisions and associated risks.
- Ethical, team player, with a commitment to company values.