In conjunction with the head of business develop, the associate director of business development identifies, analyzes, evaluates, and negotiates agreements which enhance product and business growth for the businesses. Provides product opportunity and market information and analysis based on secondary data sources in cooperation with other functions and resources. Serves on multi-functional teams and may represent BD in interactions with external parties as needed in the evaluation, due diligence, and deal making process.
Manage and lead the Rhodes product portfolio process
- Analyzeportfoliotargets and make recommendations to New Product Committee (NPC) on new products to add to the pipeline
- Regularly screen the product universe to identify ANDA pipeline targets, leveraging third-party competitive intelligence resources (e.g. FDA databases, IPD analytics, SEC filings), as well as primary intelligence gathered from API suppliers and CROs]
- Work with extended team prior to NPC to build a complete story for each product (API, patents, formulation difficulty, biostudy difficulty, manufacturing challenges, DEA schedule, sales, trends, competitive dynamic, etc.)
- Build a diversified portfolio sufficiently balanced across four key diversification factors: launch timing, risk, cost, and value.
- Conduct quarterly Portfolio Reviews
- Monitor pipeline product changes, internally and externally, to ensure our rationale for pursuing pipeline projects is still relevant.
- Prioritize products for R&D. Manage forecast documents including projected approval and launch timing
Manage Partner Alliances
- Act as main business point of contact for select partners alliances.
- Along with Legal, be subject matter expert on select partner contracts.
- Work closely with cross-functional teams, especially Rhodes’ project management, to keep up-to-date on project’s progress, especially any issues that could have a material impact on a product’s business case or the partner relationship.
- Develop partner relationship plan with project management. Plan should include recommendation for engagement at all levels of management.
- Be creative and don’t be afraid to challenge the experts. Think of ways to expedite commercial launch of projects.
- Raise concerns/issues requiring problem resolution and address/solve issues taking into consideration Rhodes’ concerns and partners’ concerns. If issues can’t be solved at project and alliance management level, escalate to senior management for decision-making to ensure time is not lost.
- Track agreement milestones and coordinate corresponding internal activities.
- Track partner performance and provide feedback to partners.
Support Business Development efforts
- Proactively identify BD deal targets.
- Build financial models to analyze deal value/risk and recommend deal structure.
- Aggressively network to create deal flow. Build, develop, and maintain relationships with industry contacts including consultants and investment bankers.
- Draft and negotiate term sheets.
- Lead diligence efforts regarding BD projects and partner companies.
- Review, negotiate, and redline contracts.
- Be relentless at using resources efficiently and tenacious in pursuing and quickly closing deals that fit Rhodes’ strategy and criteria, dispensing just as quickly with deals that do not fit or will not close.
Note travel will be required to industry conference/events (DCAT, CPhI) as well as visits to partner sites.
Education and Experience
BS/MBA in Business Administration, Finance or related field with 5 plus years of business development experience. Prior experience in generic pharmaceutical business development preferred. In addition, experience with the following is required:
Necessary Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- ANDA portfolio management (product selection, product rationalization, and product prioritization)
- Contract negotiation
- Discounted cash flow analysis for ANDA products
- Development of and presentation of slides decks to senior management for purposes of providing updates, analysis, and recommendations.