The quality and innovation of the engineering in our products, systems, and service offerings keep our customers ahead. Developing solutions for our customers all over the world and working on our market-leading technologies will challenge and enrich your work and your mind.
The role reports to the Engineering Manager and is located in Auburn Hills, MI or Atlanta, GA. As a Senior Controls Engineer, you will be responsible for the development, introduction, and application of controls such as electro-mechanical or electric controls to support company products. It requires knowledge of various related engineering disciplines and their applications. Under limited direction, perform a variety of complex engineering assignments requiring in-depth knowledge of a specific engineering discipline plus an understanding of related disciplines to cost-effectively achieve objectives. Assignments typically require the use of advanced and innovative techniques. Proactively seek and implement initiatives to improve operations and increase customer satisfaction.
- Design, analyze, and evaluate systems, products, or components, requiring a high degree of technical expertise. Design and develop complex models or simulations and apply advanced computer programs, analytical techniques, or control strategies to effectively meet requirements and resolve problems.
- Act as principal investigator or lead a group of engineers investigating problems, developing solutions, and preparing related recommendations and reports. Conduct economic studies and prepare or lead the preparation of specifications, proposals for contracts, licensing, and safety documents, and obtain required approvals.
- Represent the group in meetings and conferences, interact with customers to resolve significant technical issues, and develop related action plans.
- Requires thorough knowledge of a specific engineering discipline plus an understanding of related disciplines to coordinate activities, analyze and resolve problems crossing disciplines, and to develop new concepts for programs. Requires ability to interface effectively, internally, and with customers.
- Technical input, recommendations, and decisions may impact the organization's effectiveness and customer relations.
- Bachelor's Degree, preferably in Engineering or Computer Science, and 8 years' experience in automation, robotics, design, controls, software, project engineering, programming, OR Associates' Degree, preferably in a technical field, and 10 years' experience in automation, robotics, design, controls, software, project engineering, programming.
- Candidates must already have a work authorization that allows them to work for ABB in the United States.
- Open to travel about 20%.
- Background in material handling systems, Packaging systems is highly preferred.
- PLC’s Software, PLC programming, Ladder, Structure Text Language (STL), Ladder, PackML. Networking Ethernet based systems, Ethernet /IP (Internet Protocol), ProfiNet, OPC-UA.
- HMI (Human Machine Interface) programming, computer programming C, C++, VBA, VBA6 Programming, Database. Controls hardware design, ACAD Electric, ePLAN P8.