SCOPE OF POSITION
This position is responsible for the coordination of the clinical activities of the inpatient wound care team. Responsibilities include:
Utilization of skills in organization, leadership, planning, implementing, evaluating and providing care as it relates to the age and specific needs of the patient.
Works within the framework of the State Nurse Practice Act and follows all Hospital policies and procedures as
Complies with Hospital, wound care, and nursing philosophies/standards in the performance of job duties and responsibilities.
Supports the goals and objectives of the Wound Care program.
The Manager demonstrates an ability to respond and provide direction in changing workload during crisis and emergency situations.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC DUTIES:
• Provides direct patient care to a group of patients while utilizing the nursing process.
• Manages clinical staff, functions, activities, and case management development by following the approved Clinical Pathways
• Assists in fiscal responsibilities, such as, budget preparation and monitoring, reimbursement, purchasing, and maintaining efficiency in staffing and supplies.
• Maintains adequate staffing
• Determines staffing levels based upon acuity and benchmarks
• Insures staff competencies are updated as needed; insures staff licenses are current as needed;
• Provides for mandatory education to clinical staff and client personnel, monitors safe practices, and develops corrective action plans.
• Provides continuity of care for patients in collaboration with physicians and staffing with accountability for planning, implementation and evaluation of comprehensive wound care involving multiple disciplines and sites of care evaluating care given and intervening as necessary.
• Initiates and participates as a change agent to improve work environment, work process, or patient care including coaching, discipline, and performance appraisals.
• Obtains by self-initiative, advanced knowledge and credentials, and serves as a role model/educator; implements standards of care and adheres to policy and procedures and all regulatory requirements (e.g.TJC, Medicare, and FDA).
• Implements Quality Management Program with the Hospital and attends monthly meetings
• May assist or participate in providing community education.
• Gains knowledge to be able to assess efficient and cost effective product usage
• Assists with facilitating continuum of care from inpatient to outpatient Wound Care programs
• Provides orientation and training to new Center staff members
Close collaborative relationship with infection prevention, quality, and all of nursing. Collaborates across the system to facilitate knowledge sharing.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES:
• Demonstrates an advanced level of clinical skills and the ability to assist others to achieve quality care.
• Demonstrates knowledge of the principles of growth and development.
• Demonstrates computer skills with database and appropriate software.
• Demonstrates an understanding of the nursing process in providing patient care.
• Demonstrates competence to instruct and monitor staff in the delivery of patient care.
• Demonstrates advanced knowledge related to wound care by the ability to review cases for Quality
• Management, formulating, implementing, and evaluating plans for improvement.
• Manages within the budget parameters.
• Maintains harmonious working relationships and demonstrates effective team building skills.
• Ability to communicate in a professional manner.
• Able to complete a two-person lift, wheelchair to exam table.
• Excellent interpersonal and negotiating skills.
See organization chart
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Current TN Registered Nurse License in good standing
Minimum five (5) years clinical experience;
Wound care experience a must
Current American Heart Association BLS Certification (maintain current at all times)
Obtains ongoing continuing education
Obtains Wound Care Certification within 1 year after beginning employment
Advanced degree and/or formal management education
Minimum of two (2) years of prior supervisory or health care management experiencepreferred