We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Healthcare Epidemiologist at University of Washington Medical Center. The Healthcare Epidemiologist operates under the direction and supervision of the Center for Clinical Excellence Director and Associate Medical Director for Quality and Safety. This position will be responsible for integrating the UWMC philosophy, mission and goals into plans and programs to enhance safety and identify and reduce the risks of acquiring and transmitting infections among patients, staff, volunteers, students and visitors. Additionally, as the Healthcare Epidemiologist, this position will participate as a key member of the Infection Prevention Committees, provide clinical consultation, develop standards and policies, participate in QI, and provide educational services. This person will collaborate with leadership, faculty and staff in the development and implementation of care standards, policies, guidelines and protocols. This person will serve as a staff resource by providing educational opportunities such as new protocol education, specialty specific education and skills reinforcement education.
• Serve as a consultant and advisor to personnel at all levels for infection prevention, epidemiology within the University of Washington Medical Center.
• Serve as a clinical resource/consultant on infection prevention and patient care issues, equipment evaluation, construction activities and management and disposal of infectious waste.
• Make regular rounds to interact with healthcare teams and educate and coach as needed to promote and educate staff on approved practices to reduce the transmission of healthcare acquired infections.
• Develop and maintain relationships with unit and department staff and managers, faculty, and administrative staff to ensure coordination of infection prevention related activities, programs and policies.
• Participates in in medical center programmatic efforts of an interdepartmental nature that affect multiple service areas (e.g... environmental health and safety, construction activities, sterilization and disinfection issues).
• Collaborate with hospital leaders, faculty and staff to identify ongoing care concerns and quality of care issues for complex problems and develop strategies for improvement.
• Review quality and safety indicators to facilitate implementation of continuous improvement based on new developments in theory and practice of quality improvement processes.
• Participate in development and implementation of medical center wide infection surveillance programs across units, services and departments. This includes:
o Multidrug-resistant organisms such as MRSA, VRE, Clostridium difficile, Acinetobacter, multri-drug-resistant Gram negative bacteria
o Respiratory pathogens such as tuberculosis and influenza
o Healthcare-associated infections (HAI) such as central line-associated bloodstream infections, catheter-associated urinary tract infections, ventilator-associated pneumonia, and surgical site infections (SSI).
• Guide analyses and presentation of healthcare-associated infection surveillance results including major aspects of data collection and database management.
• Report HAI through National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) as required by CMS and state law.
• Monitors compliance with state, local and federal requirements and participates in regulatory and accreditation activities related to infection control.
• Act as a liaison with public health for infection control and exposure issues and assist in epidemiologic investigations of suspected outbreaks and/or exposures to infectious diseases in conjunction with the Medical Director of Infection Control and Employee Health Services as appropriate.
• In conjunction with other members of the Infection Prevention and Epidemiology provides 24 hour coverage for the University of Washington Medical Center.
Current WA State RN license
Baccalaureate of Science in nursing, microbiology or a related field
Certification in Infection Control or plan to become certified within a reasonable period of time
5 years of clinical acute care experience
2 years clinical leadership experience; e.g. nurse manager/assistant nurse manager, supervisor, charge, preceptor
Strong customer service / project management focus
Flexibility in meeting workload demands, some evening/night and weekend rotation required
Strong interpersonal skills
Masters in Nursing or other clinically related field
Familiarity with Quality improvement methods and tools