Purpose of Job
We are currently seeking a talented Director Risk Management for our Tampa, FL, San Antonio, TX or Phoenix, AZ facility.
This is an opportunity for an Enterprise Risk professional to further advance ERM programs and develop high profile initiatives within an integrated financial company. In this role, you will have regular exposure and high visibility to the most senior levels of USAA leadership. Given the importance of the USAA Enterprise Risk Program, this role offers exciting opportunities for professional growth and contribution to strategic enterprise initiatives.
The Director ofRisk Management is accountable for the development and mentoring of a high performing team insupport of the enhancement and growth of the USAArisk management program. Influencesprocesses at both the business unit and enterprise level and leads and sets the agenda forrisk management deliverables. Responsible forpartnering with the enterprise and business units to assess, quantify, aggregate, and mitigate exposures through the identification of key and emergingrisks and evaluates alignment withrisk strategy and appetite. Accountable for monitoring therisk and control environment and consults onrisk mitigation plans to ensure that exposures are kept at acceptable levels. Leads cross-functional teams to achieve objectives across multiple business units or Centers of Excellence. Participates in andsupportsinternal and externalaudits, regulatory reviews, and rating agency requests.
- Directs staff and initiatives that supportrisk management programs, to include governance support, risk oversight, riskinfrastructure development, identification, quantification, and aggregation of key and emerging risks and/or operational risks and controls. Advises senior management and influences process change.
- Builds and manages a high performing team of risk professionals through recruitment, training, coaching, performance management and related managerial activities.
- Manages consulting relationships with internal and external clients in regard to budget and implementation deliverables and risk mitigation plans as appropriate.
- Partners with key stakeholders in the business and oversees the identification, assessment and documentation of risks and controls, including risks associated with new or modified products, services, distributionchannels, regulations and/or third party operations.
- Directs the formulation of stress test plans for a line of business or the enterprise, evaluates results, and frames contingency plans in partnership with key business stakeholders.
- Directs the oversight of model risk through model documentation review, assessment of performance monitoring, model validation, and use implementation.
- Works with senior leadership to refine risk profiles, risk appetite, and key risk metrics. Directs teams in the development of risk dashboards and reporting formats in alignment with risk appetite/profile and leads teams in the identification, quantification and aggregation of risks using analytical methodologies.
- Reviews, communicates and recommends the development of risk policies and procedures in partnership with senior leaders to ensure appropriateness and adequacy versus industry best practices and regulatory requirements. Provides counsel to business unit managers on risk management issues and supports the evaluation of new product strategies on their impact to USAA’s risk profile.
- Accountable for the development, implementation and oversight of risk management frameworks. Formulates risk management policies, procedures and standards in conjunction with senior management and risk management committees. Educates risk owners on risk management best practices and may work with other risk functions in the development and implementation of risk controls.
- Manages processes for collecting accurate and complete internal loss data from business areas. May direct analysis and data mining initiatives that identify, validate, and manage emerging risk exposures. Assists in the early identification of risk trends by establishing and monitoring key performance and risk indicators.
- Oversees the preparation of key reports and communications and may present to governance committees, senior leaders, regulatory bodies and the USAA Board of Directors.
- Performs all other tasks as needed.
- Bachelor's degree in Risk Management, Business, Finance or other related field or four years of directly related work experience (in lieu of a degree)
- 8 or more years risk management experience or 8 years operations experience in a relevant functional area to include banking, insurance, financial services, audit, public accounting or related area; Or advanced degree or designation in a quantitative discipline relevant to risk management and 4 or more years relevant risk management work experience; Or PhD in a quantitative discipline and up to 2 years relevant risk management work experience
- 3 or more years direct team lead or management experience
*Qualifications may warrant placement in a different job level.*
When you apply for this position, you will be required to answer some initial questions. This will take approximately 5 minutes. Once you begin the questions you will not be able to finish them at a later time and you will not be able to change your responses.
- Experience with 3rd party Risk Management programs
- Experience with Quality Control and/or Quality Assurance programs in a Risk Management environment
- Experience implementing and/or executing enterprise-wide compliance programs
**Selected candidates will attend and complete the Management Development School program in San Antonio, TX during their first six months in positions.**
The above description reflects the details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job and should not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be performed in the job.
At USAA our employees enjoy one of the best benefits packages in the business, including a flexible business casual or casual dress environment, comprehensive medical, dental and vision plans, along with wellness and wealth building programs. Additionally, our career path planning and continuing education will assist you with your professional goals.
Relocation assistance is available for this position.
For Internal Candidates:
Must complete 12 months in current position (from date of hire or date of placement), or must have manager’s approval prior to posting.
Last day for internal candidates to apply to the opening is 01/10/19 by 11:59 pm CST time.
Req. Number: R0027746