The Finance Operations team's mission is to provide best-in-class service to internal stakeholders and external customers through implementing new technologies and automation, coupled with the effective, efficient, and compliant execution of finance processes.
The Finance Operations team is part of the Tesla Finance Controllership organization, with a corporate team based in Dumbarton Circle, Newark, California managing strategic initiatives and interfacing with senior business partners, and a shared service team based in Salt Lake City, Utah responsible for the execution of core finance scope which includes Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Payroll, and various Corporate Accounting functions.
Tesla is seeking an experienced leader to build and manage a risk assurance program for Finance Operations that aims to improve over-all governance, risk management and compliance of operations.
This position will report to the Senior Manager, Corporate Accounting, and will be responsible for ensuring that all finance operations processes are compliant (to SOX404 and internal control requirements, policies and procedures) and on a continuous basis, evaluate the over-all control framework to ensure it remains fit-for-purpose. In addition, the risk assurance manager will be expected to provide proactive risk management and mitigation to ensure new risks and control gaps are identified and addressed. The role will also be responsible for reviewing and updating all relevant policies and procedures for Finance Operations. In many cases, the review, implementation and enforcement of those relevant policies and procedures will entail extensive interface and collaboration with functional owners within and outside of Finance. The Risk Assurance manager will serve as the key focal point for Finance Operations to the Internal Audit team and external auditors, in all matters related to Finance Operations controls and compliance.
- Independently review and evaluate the entire Finance Operations control framework, including all SOX404 and internal business controls, to ensure compliance and that controls remain fit-for-purpose. This includes working with the various control owners and operators for mitigating actions and/or compensating controls development for non-complaint controls, and new controls development for identified gaps.
- Proactively identify key risks to operations and recommendations to mitigate. Develop cadence to refresh on a regular basis.
- Continuously evaluate and assess internal control environment, including impact assessments coming from new ERP implementation, process redesign, and/or significant changes to control operation. Propose control redesign or control operation changes as appropriate.
- Provide management with analysis and recommendations for control operation efficiency, cost reduction and improved risk management
- Develop internal Finance Operations capability to determine design and operational effectiveness.
- Interface with internal audit team and/or external auditors on all matters associated with Finance Operations controls and compliance.
- Ensure all relevant policies and procedures are updated, and enforced. This includes working with various teams to assess appropriateness of current policy and current compliance, and collaborating with the different policy owners to update policies as necessary.
- Develop cadence for regular policy updates, policy documentation and retention.
- Serve as key resource for Finance Operations in all matters related to controls, compliance, governance, and risk.
The position demands strong interpersonal skills to create partnership with business process, control and policy owners, internal audit, and external auditors. Strong internal control and risk management expertise, objectivity, positive attitude, team spirit, dedication, collaborative effort and unquestioned integrity are essential elements of the position.
- Knowledge of financialinternal control theory and application
- Knowledge of ERP system-based control design and optimization is a plus
- Knowledge of key business, operational, strategic and financial controls across all process cycles (P2P, OTC, RTR, HTR etc.)
- Strong understanding of corporate accounting processes
- Ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally to all levels of staff and management in the global Finance organization
- Proven ability to reason logically, identifies necessary inquiry, and draw well-reasoned conclusions
- Advanced Excel skills for use in analysis, reporting, and data management
- Strong interpersonal skills able to build excellent working relationships
- High degree of initiative, dependability and ability to work with minimum supervision
- 5-8years’ experience in a financial/operational audit, controls assurance or accounting process-oriented role.
- Evidence of exceptional ability.
- Experience working in the accounting, audit or compliance departments of a large public company, preferably with internal controls responsibility
- Experience working and/or exposure to different business processes such as Record to Report (RTR), Order to Cash (OTC), Hire to Retire (HTR), Procure to Pay (PTP) and operations
- Experience in risk-based audit, internal financial control processes, governance frameworks, enterprise wide risk management, account closing will be advantageous.
- Experience leading and managing multiple projects simultaneously.
- Experience communicating with business and finance stakeholders at various levels
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or equivalent experience
- Certified Public Accounting (CPA) designation preferred.