Google's custom-designed machines make up one of the largest and most powerful computing infrastructures in the world. The Hardware Testing Engineering team ensures that this cutting-edge equipment is reliable. In the R&D lab, you design test equipment for prototypes of our machinery and develop the protocols used to scale these tests for the entire global team. Working closely with design engineers, you give input on designs to improve our hardware until you're sure it meets Google's standards of quality and reliability.
As a Test Engineer in the Centralized Test Engineering team, you will be responsible for one of the key consumer satisfaction metrics - functional performance of the device. You'll be a key member of the cross-functional team that will launch the product, managing factory test stations from concept to mass production.
The role will be in one of the following product families: VR, Wearables, Phones, Laptops, Home.
Google's mission is to organize the world's information and make it universally accessible and useful. Our Hardware team researches, designs, and develops new technologies and hardware to make our user's interaction with computing faster, more powerful, and seamless. Whether finding new ways to capture and sense the world around us, advancing form factors, or improving interaction methods, our Hardware team is making people's lives better through technology.
- Maintain all factory test stations including (production) test stations before/after reliability testing. Develop functional specs for the product with Design/Engineering teams and implement at the factory.
- Make recommendations related to design and test coverage improvement that require minimal engineering engagement. Oversee implementation, yield and parametric data gathering, correlation, and associated tasks, while also acting as a liaison with Software Engineering teams in regards to factory images, test scripts and associated requirements.
- Cover system level (end-to-end assembly), mechanical level (all mechanical assemblies), test (described above), and SMT/DFM (for PCBA). Provide EFFA program support.
- Mitigate potential test gaps and correlations issues between our vendors and manufacturing processes and drive them to closure. Oversee test station sign off criteria for mass production.
- Develop test station for validation tests with an eye on mass production. Oversee test software development (device and station), and test fixture (mechanical) development.
- BS degree in Engineering or equivalent practical experience.
- 5 years of experience in testing products for manufacturing, with an emphasis on one or more RF technologies including Cellular (LTE/UMTS/CDMA/GSM) and WLAN (802.11). Experience with RF principles and 3GPP/IEEE802.11/Bluetooth conformance specifications.
- Experience with automating RF tests using mainstream test instruments (e.g. IQxel, CMW100/500, MT8870/8852, UXM/EXM, etc.) Scripting and debugging experience in Python or C++.
- Ability to travelinternationally up to 25% of the time, as required.
- MS/PhD in Engineering.
- Experience with hardware testing, system bring-up and design validation.
- Experience with database queries and statistical analysis.
- Experience working with OEM partners.
- Demonstrated experience in debug, troubleshooting and failure analysis investigation.
- Mechanical and software expertise in test station development.