Palm Desert, CA
Industry: Hospitality & Recreation•
8 - 10 years
Posted 168 days ago
Are you ready to grow your dream career while making others- vacation dreams come true? Marriott Vacations Worldwide is a world premier organization for Vacation Ownership with resorts at destinations around the globe. Join our team and help deliver unforgettable experiences that make vacation dreams come true.
Position: Resort ManagerReports to: General ManagerRelocation: Assistance ProvidedJOB SUMMARYFunctions as the strategic business leader of property operations and acts as General Manager in his/her absence. Areas of responsibility include Front Office, Business Center, Retail/Gift Shops, Recreation/Fitness Center, Housekeeping, Security/Loss Prevention, Engineering/Maintenance, Food and Beverage/Culinary. Position works with direct reports (Executive Committee members and department heads) to develop and implement the operations strategy and ensuring implementation of the brand service strategy and brand initiatives. The position ensuring operations meet the brand-s target customer needs, ensuring associate satisfaction, focuses on growing revenues and maximizes financial performance. As a member of the Executive Committee, develops and implements property-wide strategies that deliver products and services to meet or exceed the needs and expectations of the brand-s target customer and property associates.CORE WORK ACTIVITIESManaging Profitability and Departmental Budgets
- Keeps operations team focused on the critical components of operations to drive guest satisfaction and the desired financial results.
- Ensures that all operational areas have an atmosphere that is conducive to the overall guest experience.
- Reviews financial reports and statements to determine how Operations is performing against budget.
- Ensures capital expenditure funds are being used to address the priorities outlined in the service strategy.
- Works with direct reports to determine areas of concern and establishing ways to improve the departments- financial performance.
- Strives to maintain profit margins without compromising guest or associate satisfaction.
- Identifies and analyzes operational challenges and facilitates the development of solutions to prevent reoccurrence.
- Coaches and supports operations team to effectively manage occupancy - rate, wages and controllable expenses.
- Reviews the Wage Progress Report and compares budgeted wages to actual wages, coaching direct reports to address problem areas and holds team accountable for results.
- Develops an operational strategy that is aligned with the brand-s business strategy and leads its execution.
- Makes and executes key decisions to keep property moving forward towards achievement of goals.Managing Property Operations
- Strives to improve service performance.
- Communicates a clear and consistent message regarding operational goals to produce desired results on a continuous basis.
- Ensures brand and regional business initiatives are implemented and communicates follow-up actions to team as necessary.
- Ensures core elements of the service strategy are in place to produce the desired results.
- Tours building on a regular basis speaking with associates and guests to understand business needs and assess operational opportunities.Leading Property Operations Teams
- Establishes a vision for product and service delivery on property.
- Champions the brand-s service vision for product and service delivery and ensuring alignment amongst the property leadership team.
- Ensures associates are treated fairly and equitably.Managing and Conducting Human Resources Activities
- Observes service behaviors of associates and providing feedback to individuals and/or managers.
- Hires operations management team members who demonstrate strong functional expertise, creativity and entrepreneurial leadership to meet the business needs of the operation.
- Conducts annual performance appraisals with direct reports according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Utilizes an -open door- policy and reviewing associate satisfaction results to identify and address associate problems or concerns.
- Stays knowledgeable of leadership talent in the property.
- Fosters associate commitment to providing excellent service, participating in daily stand-up meetings and models desired service behaviors in all interactions with guests and associates.CANDIDATE PROFILEEducation and Experience
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 8 years experience in the management operations, or related professional area.
OR- 4-year bachelor-s degree in Business Administration, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 6 years experience in the management operations, sales and marketing, or related professional area.Management CompetenciesLeadership
- Professional Demeanor - Exhibiting behavioral styles that convey confidence and command respect from others; making a good first impression and representing Marriott in alignment with its values.
- Communication - Conveying information and ideas to others in a convincing and engaging manner through a variety of methods. Strong public presentation skills.
- Adaptability - Maintaining performance level under pressure or when experiencing changes or challenges in the workplace.
- Planning and Organizing - Gathering information and resources required to set a plan of action for self and/or others; prioritizing and arranging work requirements to accomplish goals and ensure work is completed.
- Driving for Results - Setting high standards of performance for self and/or others; assuming responsibility for work objectives; initiating, focusing, and monitoring the efforts of self and/or others toward the accomplishment goals; proactively taking action and going beyond what is required
- Building and Contributing to Teams - Leading and participating as a member of a team to move toward the completion of common goals while fostering cohesion and collaboration among team members.
- Coworker Relationships - Interacting with others in a way that builds openness, trust, and confidence in the pursuit of organizational goals and lasting relationships.
- Customer Relationships - Developing and sustaining relationships based on an understanding of customer needs and actions consistent with Marriott-s Spirit to Serve.
- Fostering Inclusion - Supporting associates with diverse styles, abilities, motivations, and/or cultural perspectives; leveraging personal differences to achieve objectives; and promoting a work environment where all associates are given the opportunity to contribute to their full potential.
Generating Talent and Organizational Capability
- Talent Management - Providing guidance and feedback to help individuals develop and strengthen skills and abilities needed to accomplish work objectives.
- Organizational Capability - Understanding and leveraging associate talent and capabilities to meet work needs; supporting the attraction, selection, and/or retention of associates in order to achieve department and business objectives.
Learning and Applying Personal Expertise
- Applied Learning - Seeking and making the most of learning opportunities to improve performance of self and/or others.
- Technical Acumen - Understanding and utilizing professional skills and knowledge in a specific functional area to conduct and manage everyday business operations and generate innovative solutions to approach function-specific work challenges
o Detail Orientation - The ability to attend to and verify the accuracy and completeness of details in work activities. This includes focusing on the small details of work activities and taking the necessary time to ensure that all the details of completed work are correct and of high quality.
o Owner Service - Skill in anticipating and assessing needs, actively looking for ways to help, exceeding expectations for service, and evaluating satisfaction for owners.
o General Property Operations - Knowledge of the operating principles and practices of all brand/property-specific functions to support successful operations of the overall property (e.g., Engineering/Maintenance, Event Management, Finance and Accounting, Human Resources, Legal/Contracting, Food and Beverage, Guest Services/Front Desk, Sales - Marketing, Security/Loss Prevention, Retail/Gift Shops, Spa, and Recreation/Health Club).
- Business Acumen - Understanding and utilizing business information (e.g., data used in the Marriott Balanced Scorecard related to Associate Engagement, Guest Satisfaction, and Property Financial Performance) to manage everyday operations and generate innovative solutions to approach business and administrative challenges
o Applied Business Knowledge - Evaluates market conditions, organizational objectives, and important aspects of the business to accurately diagnose market opportunities and threats; anticipates opportunities and threats, identify issues, and develop strategies and plans. Aligning individual and team actions with strategies and plans to drive business results.
o Management of Capital Resources - Determines the appropriate allocation of money used to accomplish work goals, and submits expenses according to guidelines; appropriately utilizes and maintains equipment, facilities, and materials needed to perform work activities.
o Administration and Management - Understands and applies the business and management information involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership techniques, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Basic Competencies - Fundamental competencies required for accomplishing basic work activities.
o Basic Computer Skills - Using basic computer hardware and software (e.g., personal computers, word processing software, Internet browsers, etc.).
o Mathematical Reasoning - The ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly, correctly, and in a way that allows one to solve work-related issues.
o Oral Comprehension - The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
o Reading Comprehension - Understanding written sentences and paragraphs in work related documents.
o Writing - Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the audience.Marriott Vacations Worldwide is an equal opportunity employer committed to hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive culture