This position is within HARMAN’s Lifestyle Automotive Engineering department, located in Novi, MI, though the role will primarily be located in Warren, MI. The primary responsibility is to provide hardware and software technical and applications support of audio systems to customers. Also the position will be the bridge between the customer and internal engineering teams. The Engineering team is looking for the ultimate team player and positive thinking, customer satisfying person. The Successful candidate will have a demonstrated track record of success with audio systems engineering and customer facing interaction.
This position will have no reports
- Responsible for supporting customer programs on all audio hardware and software technical and application topics and issues.
- This position is the primary technical face of Harman for audio products to customer.
- Work closely with other team members, includes PM, hardware engineers, software engineers, manufacturing, suppliers, and quality assurance departments to drive successful project delivery to meet timing, cost and quality.
- Prepare technical reports and presentation
- Customer issue support and resolution
- Act as the first response for embedded system issues found during development at the customer’s location or a third party system component supplier
- Work closely with customer and provide technical support in a timely manner
- Appropriate escalation of issues to customers and/or HI department to resolve customer issues
- Participate in infotainment/audio system bench testing at customer’s site or other third party system component supplier, representing the amplifier product from a hardware/software/system perspective
- Coordination of multiple Harman departments in assembling and gaining buy-in for responses to customer questions
- Support of inspection and verification testing activities at GM as needed, such as bench integration and testing of amps (prior to customer shipment)
- Product development support
- Understand customer and internal requirements and specifications for amplifier projects
- Write Technical Requirement Specification (TRS) for customer and internal engineering team
- Coordinate the communication of related design documentation between the customer and HI, such as; specifications, GD&T requirements, connector pin-out definitions, and wiring diagrams.
- As necessary, track engineering change requests
- Chair and/or attend customer meetings as HI’s amplifier HW/SW/SYS engineering representative. Provide immediate feedback to the appropriate HI personnel. Examples of meetings include:
- Early system packaging meetings
- Audio system open issue meetings
- Component packaging reviews
- Design reviews at the concept, prototype, and production stages of development
- Issue-resolution reviews following customer builds at the concept, prototype, and production stages of development
- Pilot reviews and launch-readiness meeting
- Assess the customer’s mindset. Report substantial changes in the customer’s (engineering, purchasing, quality, manufacturing, etc.) perceptions of Harman’s performance to internal engineering and sales management.
- Assist the HI sales personnel in supporting the customer, as necessary
- Communicate all commercial issues by the customer to the appropriate HI sales personnel. All cost and price related discussions are the responsibility of HI sales personnel.
- Forward information on customer and competitor activities relevant to HI’s interests.
- In the event that HI is a Tier 2 supplier, coordinate communications and meetings with the Tier 1 suppliers regarding engineering design and integration issues. On occasion, in the absence of HI sales personnel, negotiate topics such as part delivery, shipping, packaging, and product labeling with the Tier 1 supplier.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or related field and 2 years of relevant work experience
- Demonstrated involvement in research, technology development, and cutting edge innovation all throughout the academic curriculum via TAs, RAs, and internships
- Exceptional reputation as an innovator based on having created forward looking research, projects, and award winning publications
- Experience working in the technology industry or automotive industry
- Experience with non-traditional input and output technologies, such as speech, gesture, touch, haptics, etc.
- Experience in design for mobile communication and mobile computing, ubiquitous computing, physical computing, artificial intelligence, robotics, and augmented reality
- Ability to communicate advanced and complex concepts and ideas persuasively and concisely to all levels of the business
Preferred Qualifications and desired competencies:
- Ideal candidate has experience working as an audio, infotainment, or other automotive module engineer with GM or other automotive OEM customers
- Hands-on electronics system debug experiencerequired
- Automotive CAN experiencepreferred
- Automotive EAVB experiencepreferred
- Automotive A2B experiencepreferred
- Automotive systems experiencepreferred
- Ability to use common electronic trouble-shooting tools such as oscilloscopes, CAN log trace tools, DMMs, current clamps, spectrum analyzers, soldering iron, etc preferred
- Embedded system design experience or familiarity preferred
- Embedded system software development in C/C++ and model-based familiarity desired
- Experience working at or with GM or other automotive OEM in an embedded system development desired
- Schematic Capture and PCB layout CAD familiarity desired
- TS16949 and other quality tools (PPAP,APQP,MSA,SPC,DFMEA) familiarity desired
- Creation of issue countermeasure quality document desire