Resident System Engineer in Japan to liaise with all core railway systems contractors to support the development of the requirements for each system in support of their submissions towards financial close. Understand and develop a relationship with the system supplier to assist the contractors to develop preliminary designs compliant to US regulations. The incumbent must possess the ability to communicate and engage the Japanese contractors and to provide technical development support for all rail systems for a high speed railway.
POSITION DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for supporting and providing expert technical and engineering input for the core railway systems requirements to develop a least risk cost estimate for financial close.
- Review technical details from the contractor and comment on the content to support the contractors to produce their required deliverables.
- Act as the interface between the clients project management team and the contractors in Japan
- Facilitate the responses to technical queries and obtain additional clarification as required.
- Identify additional project risks as identified by the contractors in Japan.
- Support and guide the development of core system programs in conjunction with the Design & Build contractors.
- Manage the tracking and coordinate the resolution of deficiencies identified during engineering activities.
- Engage with the US based Systems and Railroad team on a regular basis to keep them informed of the progress.
- Support the project status reporting by submitting regular reports.
REPORTING AND INTERFACING
Reports directly to the Integration Manager.
Will be required to interface with:
- All internal technical departments, including Civil and Systems
- Legal and contracts leads
- The Operator/operations team
- Any other consultant or contractor employed by the client
- Other stakeholders as required for execution of the scope of work
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, EXPERIENCE:
- Engineering Degree (or equivalent demonstrable knowledge in Railway Systems)
- At least 15 years of Railway Systems experience
- Detailed knowledge of a variety of Railway Systems, including as a minimum Signaling, Rolling Stock, Power, Communications, SCADA and Radio Systems.
- A good knowledge of Verification and Validation as well as Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety management international processes. The candidate must be able to guide suppliers on how to present their existing processes in comparison with international best practice.
- Knowledge of conducting analysis for RAMS if required, e.g. FMEA/FMECA and Fault Tree Analysis.
- Previous experience in compiling railway safety assurance documentation
- Familiar with US and international standards and processes for a variety of systems
- Good knowledge of US and international Railroad regulations and standards
- Experience working with regulatory bodies and authorities
- Familiar with railway operational practices including construction railway operations
- A knowledge of the Japanese railway technology and rolling stock
- Must possess the ability to identify risks with systems activities over the full project lifecycle and highlight these as early as possible with strategies for mitigation measures
- Ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships with a range of multidisciplinary stakeholders, demonstrating excellent influencing skill.
- Ability to communicate complex issues to stakeholders.
- Fluent in Japanese and a good understanding of Japanese culture
- Strong written and spoken communication skills, strong interpersonal and influencing skills.
Requisition ID: 209018