What You Will Do:
As Gannett Fleming continues to expand our client and project list in the Northeast region, we need an experienced Resident Engineer (“RE”) to manage and provide oversight of contractor operations for medium to large scale Transit and Rail related projects throughout the greater New York City area, including Westchester County. MTA-Metro North Railroad, bridge, and pile construction experience is beneficial.
- The primary duties and responsibilities of the Resident Engineer are to be the field point of contact for the client and all project stakeholders.
- The Resident Engineer will manage and supervise an assigned field office typically consisting of inspectors, cost and schedule professionals, and office engineers.
- Conducts reviews and verifications of construction schedules; baseline and updates, in coordination with the client.
- Perform inspections, observation of field testing, and commissioning.
- Assists in the preparation and negotiations of construction change orders and the preparation of weekly / monthly project reports.
- Reviews payment vouchers from contractor.
- The Resident Engineer will be responsible for maintaining manning reports, payroll certifications and other labor documentation from the contractor.
- Chair project progress meetings and distribute meeting minutes.
- Responsible for site safety, permit compliance and coordination with other adjacent projects.
- Monitor Contractor compliance with the Contractor’s Safety and Health Plan and with specific Safe Work Plans and ensures Contractor’s compliance with the approved Contractor’s Quality Plan.
- The Resident Engineer will work with the Contractor to minimize disruptions to the public.
- Log and coordinate with the designer to respond to Contractors’ submittals, RFI's and shop drawings.
- Prepare punch lists with the owner upon completion of the project.
- Solve complex challenges relating to project schedule and budget as an effective member of the project Team (Owner, Gannett Fleming and Contractors)
The Resident Engineer may also perform Project Manager type responsibilities such as:
- Overseeing field personnel timesheets, vacation/leave, and general personnel issues that may arise.
- Review project budget and cost to complete analysis.
- The Resident Engineer will liaise between contractor and the client agency; maintain comprehensive project history files; review project documents in-depth to handle construction and design issues; and prepare change orders, project correspondence, and reports.
- Perform routine assignments requiring application of spreadsheets, databases, and scheduling software.
Education | Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Architecture, or Construction Management.
- A New York State Professional Engineering license
- 10+ years of experience in Resident Engineer activities and managing construction field teams
- Bridge experience is necessary
- Experience in Metro North Railroad, MTA-New York City Transit, NJ Transit or Long Island Railroad construction projects
- Project Management Procedures (PMP’s) and Project Management Guidelines (PMG’s) familiarity a plus
- Candidate must have the ability to drive
- OSHA 30-hour safety course certification required or the ability to acquire certification immediately
Life at Gannett Fleming
For more than 100 years, we’ve been a leader in global infrastructure solutions with a focus on planning, design, technology, and construction management services for a diverse array of markets and disciplines. Across more than 60 offices, 2,500+ highly qualified professionals are united in an unyielding commitment to deliver excellence to every client and every project, every day.
Gannett Fleming is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veterans status or other characteristics protected by law.
We offer a comprehensive benefits program, which includes medical, dental, vision and life insurance, our tax-deferred retirement plan, and incentive compensation for eligible positions. We are committed to your personal growth and professional development, so we offer tuition reimbursement, access to internal and external training programs and support active participation in professional organizations.
Gannett Fleming will not sponsor an employment visa (e.g., H-1B visa), including any visa renewal during employment, for any candidate for this position. No relocation assistance will be provided for this position. Local residents will be given preference.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE: Unsolicited resumes from third party agencies will not be accepted.
Location: New York, NY
Core Business Hours: 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM
Employment Status: Full-Time
Internal Requisition ID: 2021-
Salary Range: Salary dependent upon experience and geographic location