Resident Engineer - 938784
USA, CA, Sunnyvale
Apply Apply with LinkedIn Share
Reporting to the Manager of Advanced Services, Americas, this is a highly technical role, providing post-sales on-site support of Juniper’s Network Products. The Resident Engineer will be required todevelop and maintain an expertise on the products deployed within the customer’s network. This is a full-time position on-site at the customer location and may require long work hours and on-callsupport for critical issues. On-site technical support to the customer may require the RE:
- To hold design and information gathering workshops with the customer to understand the customer’s existing network design and technical requirements;
- To understand the customer’s organizational structure and become familiar with the customer’s network implementation and support processes and procedures;
- To carry out testing of new features and functionality required by the customer in a laboratory environment and to implement and verify that they are operating correctly in the live network;
- To test patches and fixes to operating software and to ensure that they are implemented and functioning correctly in the live network;
- To troubleshoot equipment and network problems and assist JTAC with technical cases through to problem resolution;
- To produce a written summary report of the status of equipment and network problems on a regular basis to the customer;
- To hold technology workshops with the customer to discuss equipment and network problems, and to provide case status updates, including the reasons for any problems encountered and the workarounds and/or solutions that are being tried;
- To train the customer’s design, implementation and support personnel to configure and operate the Juniper Networks products;
- To assist the customer to develop Network Operating and Equipment Operating Procedures.
The RE may also be expected to develop secondary skills in other products in the Juniper product portfolio.
The ideal candidate for this role must be able to demonstrate the following credentials:
Detailed technical experience in the installation and operation IP routers. This includes hands-on operation of management tools and network analyzers.
A detailed understanding of the protocols surrounding IP service provider networks. These skills should include:
- TCP/IP fundamentals
- IP subnetting and supernetting and hierarchical routing principles
- Routing protocol operation (OSPF, IS-IS, MPLS, RSVP, IPv6, and BGP)
- Routing policies at BGP peering points
- VPNs and the associated tunnelling technologies (L2TP, MPLS, etc.)
A detailed understanding of Layer 2 protocols and technologies such as:
- Frame Relay
- DS0, DS1, and DS3 – 3, OC3 - 192
- PPP, PPPoE, and PPPoA
- Strong Interpersonal skills.
- Team Player.
- Hands-on configuration and operational knowledge of Juniper Networks MX-series, M/T-series & JUNOS.