Research in the areas of data platforms and analytics at MSR Redmond focuses on all aspects of large-scale cloud and edge data platforms and services, and novel ways to accelerate discovering insight from data. We are interested in a variety of topics including resource management, storage, caching, query processing, query optimization, security, and privacy, self-service data cleaning and transformation at scale, search and discovery of structured data, information extraction, time-series data analytics, and metadata management.
Our past research has been incorporated into Microsoft's platforms such as SQL Server, Azure Stream Analytics, Azure SQL Database, Orleans, Power BI, Dynamics, and Bing. Many of our systems artifacts have been open-sourced and have had broad impact across the industry and academia. Our research also has had significant impact on the academic community with influential publications at top conferences such as ACM SIGMOD, VLDB, and IEEE ICDE including multiple best paper awards and test-of-time awards.
- Conduct research on problems in the areas of data platforms and analytics.
- Publish papers at top academic conferences.
- Leverage opportunities to impact the data platform industry, including Microsoft's products and services.
- PhD (completed or close to completion) in Computer Science, or similar fields.
- Research ability demonstrated by a strong publication record of top-tier journal and conference publications or submitted/accepted papers in top venues.
- Background in relational databases, big data systems, and data analytic techniques
- Expertise in database storage engines, query processing and query optimization, distributed systems, data cleaning, or data analytics
- Knowledge of statistics and machine learning.
- Proficiency in data structures and algorithms
As part of your application please upload a current CV.
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.