RT Vanderbilt - Norwalk, CT
Vanderbilt Chemicals, LLC is looking to fill a leadership position as a Research Specialist in their R&D department located in Norwalk, Connecticut. Responsibilities in this position include performing exploratory research for the purpose of identifying new additive product candidates and new technology platforms that can be considered for development and possible commercialization. The position also requires providing technical and product support in addressing quality, cost and product characterization challenges encountered in the company’s manufacturing and regulatory groups.
JOB DUTIES :
- Identify new additive technologies and prototype new additive product candidates that can improve the physical properties or upgrade the performance of current and future lubricating engine oils, industrial oils, and greases.
- Utilize statistical methods (Minitab) and technical databases (SciFinder, Patsnap) to enhance the effectiveness and productivity of R&D projects.
- Write and present technical papers at industry conferences and for a select group of customers as determined by the various business units.
- Act as project leader on new product development projects from conception to commercialization. Manage and champion research projects using formalized company protocols and procedures.
- Provide technical support to Analytical, Process Development, Engineering, Manufacturing, Regulatory, Legal and Sales (including applications labs) to enhance the value of the company’s products and facilitate the effectiveness of R&D.
- Local and international travel to technical conferences, customers and the company’s manufacturing locations (approx. 10%).
- A PhD Degree in Organic Chemistry.
- A minimum of 10 years industry experience as a synthetic organic chemist. Some experience as a product applications and process development chemist is a benefit.
- Excellent communication, computer, organization and laboratory skills including the ability to communicate clearly, write technical reports and provide clear and concise technical presentations (both internally and externally).
- Proven record of innovation and inventiveness supported by published and granted patents. Ability to write patents and to collaborate with legal and business personnel involved with the execution, maintenance and defense of relevant IP.
- Proven ability to work with many groups in a team environment for delivering short and long term technical objectives.
Job Type: Full-time
- working in a lab: 1year
- writing technical reports: 1year
- synthetic organic chemist: 10 year