Primary Function of Position:
The Applied Research group within Intuitive Surgical has an immediate opening in Sunnyvale, CA for a research engineer with a focus on Computer Vision, Machine Learning and Software development, contributing to new technology development in the area of 3D scene understanding/reconstruction and spatial AI systems for next generation robotic surgery platforms. This role is an exciting opportunity to join a newly formed team and to contribute to its growth and it will give you an opportunity to test your knowledge in a challenging problem solving environment.
The successful candidate must excel in a high-energy, focused, small-team environment, and have a commitment to high quality research prototypes and concepts. A strong sense of shared responsibility and shared reward is required.
As part of the research team, immediate responsibilities include:
• Contribute to research projects that develop a variety of algorithms and systems in computer vision and machine learning.
• Participate in integration of new ML/CV algorithms into existing and future robotic platforms
• Participate in the development of prototype 3D recognition systems that scale to large clinical datasets
• Participate in the development of prototype dense 3D reconstruction systems based on multi-view image sensors
• Train machine learning and deep learning models on a computing cluster to perform visual recognition tasks, such as segmentation and detection
• Contribute to building new clinical datasets and data pipelines
• Support academic collaborations in related fields.
Competency Requirements: (Competency is based on: education, training, skills and experience). In order to adequately perform the responsibilities of this position the individual must have:
• Master’s degree in computer science, electrical and computer engineering, or Bachelor’s degree with relevant industry experience in software development and CV/ML technologies
• Minimum of three (3) years of industry or research lab experience developing software for computer vision and machine learning applications.
• Strong understanding of machine learning: you should be familiar with the process of building effective learning systems (data collection, training, evaluation, and making iterative improvements)
• Strong hands-on experience with at least one of the main stream deep learning frameworks such TensorFlow, PyTorch, BLVC Caffe, Theano
• Strong hands-on experience with Python (proficiency), C/C++ (proficiency), Shell Script, Matlab
• Strong engineering practices, debugging/profiling skills, familiarity with multi-threaded programming
• Ability to train machine learning and deep learning models on a computing cluster to perform visual recognition tasks, such as segmentation and detection
• Hands-on experience with GPU accelerated algorithms and implementations
• Excellent communication skills both written and verbal
• Interested in early phases of product exploration and iteration based on incomplete requirements
• Self-starter and able to work in a collaborative and results-oriented environment
• Able to view live and recorded surgical procedures.
Requisition ID: 190775